Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Hi Guys,

I bought my machine in Australia so I think the DOA return policy and duration is less.

Nevertheless, I was after your opinions on whether you think I can get a replacement unit.

I bought the MBA on 22nd Feb. I reported an issue with the machine to Apple on 14th March. (14 working days).

Issues:
- Battery life barely lasts 3 hours.
- Heat: Gets very hot up to 83C. Fans have kicked up to 6203RPM.
As a result of this the second core shuts down.
All I was doing was watching a youtube video in full screen. This would cause the fans to crank up to 6200RPM.
- Hard Drive- Hard drive makes this ticking noise.

What chance do you think of me getting a replacement unit? I think the DOA policy in Australia is 10 working days. But mine was reported on the 14th. I think it would be quite unfair for me to have to have this machine serviced.

Please let me know your opinions, or advice to aid me getting a replacement as I don't think that this is normal.

Specs:
MacBook Air (1.8/80GB) Have installed SMC update 1.1.

Thanks,

DeanCorp

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Forgot to mention I bought AppleCare for it too.

I don't think it is good enough to be repaired, as I could have this option if the machine turned out to have these issues 6 months down the track.

It is less than a month old!

I was also reading I would be able to get an RMA and return it to get a refund if it was reported in 14 days which it was but that doesn't apply for customized machines! Mine was a BTO 1.8GHz!!

Anyone have access to GSX that could give me some insight into my case?

EDIT: Broke my record! 86C 6200RPM: Apps Running: Safari (2 tabs open MacRumors, eBay). iTunes streaming music off my iMac.

Cheers,

DeanCorp

hotdamn

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Dude, call apple asap, the machine will be fixed, by the way, are you guys aware if apple offers the no lemon policy?

DOA Terms and Conditions

These DOA terms and conditions only apply to Apple-branded hardware products currently offered through the Apple Store. As new products are offered, Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not these terms and conditions apply.
These DOA terms and conditions do not apply to third party products which do not bear the Apple brand name. You may call the manufacturer directly with any third party product issues.
If the product is deemed DOA by AppleCare Technical Support 30 calendar days after the invoice date, Apple's standard product warranty will apply.
If the product is deemed by AppleCare Technical Support NOT to be DOA, Apple's standard product warranty will apply.
Shipping will be arranged at Apple's expense for all products determined by AppleCare Technical Support to be DOA.

Apple reserves the right to test returned DOA product. If the customer misrepresents the condition of the product, Apple may impose a fee, for wrongful return, of $500 to the customer.

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
I think that DOA Policy refers to US. I am in Australia and I think our DOA period is 10 days.

If it was 30, I wouldn't even bother posting here, I would have had my replacement by now.

DeanCorp

anarchron

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2004
They should be able to bend the rules a bit and give you a replacement. I got a DOA replacement unit 11 days after they issued me with my e-invoice.

hotdamn

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
16. DOA Terms and Conditions - AUSTRALIA

16.1 This DOA policy applies only to Apple-branded hardware products currently offered at the Apple Consumer Store. As new products are offered, Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not this policy applies. This DOA policy does not apply to third-party products that do not bear the Apple brand name. You may call the manufacturer directly with any third-party product issues.

16.2 If the product is deemed DOA by AppleCare Technical Support more than 10 calendar days after the invoice date, Apple's standard product warranty will apply.

16.3 If the product is deemed by AppleCare Technical Support NOT to be DOA, Apple's standard product warranty will apply.

16.4 Shipping will be arranged at Apple's expense for all products determined by AppleCare Technical Support to be DOA.

16.5 Apple reserves the right to test returned DOA product. If the condition of the product is misrepresented by the customer, Apple may impose a $100 handling fee.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Hey DeanCorp,

Did you purchase your MBA through Apple Online or via an authorised Apple reseller ?

Reason I ask is that if you purchased your MBA through a retail outlet, you would have more freedom for a replacement as you could talk with the store manager and explain your story, and lets face it, without getting too technical here, by retail law, a customer has a right to return a product for a refund/exchange if the product is faulty and does not perform to standard.....

DeanCorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Hi Lev,

Yes I did buy it from an Apple Reseller.

Please can you PM me so I can discuss this situation further as you also live in Australia.

Thanks,

DeanCorp

eLMafUDd

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2006
Am I misunderstanding something here?

Apple products come with a standard 1 year warranty which covers manufacturing defects (which the issue you are experiencing definitely sounds like one)

Just call Apple support on the phone (find the number on the apple website) or I think you can do it online.

I live in Australia and I had an issue with my iPod 10 months after I bought it, filled in a form online and had it replaced within a week. They paid for postage and everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.