Replacement MacBook Pro Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GigabitEthernet, Jun 21, 2013.

1. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I have had my MacBook Pro Retina's screen replaced twice in two months for dead pixels. Less than a month after the last repair, I have noticed more dead pixels. I have owned the laptop less than a year.

I spoke to a senior AppleCare advisor last night and he said two repairs isn't enough for a replacement, even though I explained it has just happened again, so it is essentially three. Should I call again and ask to speak to customer relations or just accept a repair?

I have also sent an email to Tim Cook but I don't know how far that will get me.

Thank you.

P.S: I'm in the UK.

2. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Just keep getting it repaired and document it well. If you experience the issue after the third time, you can expect a better shot at replacement.

3. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

how do you notice dead pixels ona retina screen, the pixels are so small

4. GigabitEthernet thread starter macrumors 6502

Apparently (from what I've read online), if you can see the dead pixels, then they are lots of pixels clumped together. The Geniuses have noticed them both times.

5. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

just form normal usage or like u did some color test?

6. GigabitEthernet thread starter macrumors 6502

I notice them in normal usage (when editing light backgrounds). I used a colour test to confirm they were dead pixels and they are as they remain black when changed to a different background.

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

This is sage advice worth following.

8. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

have them repair it this time, if it does fail again talk to the senior customer care again.
    I spoke to customer care and relations this week about a replacement. The customer care says 2 parts replaced on one trip is classified as 1 repair. My macbook has had 3 parts changed in 18months of ownership and now under the hands of an AASP for a new logic board which will make it 4 parts (or as apple says 3 repairs). Customer relations asked me to let them repair it one last time and then they will look at other options.

9. GigabitEthernet thread starter macrumors 6502

Took it to the Apple Store today. Genius noticed this was the third time it happened and offered to replace the machine.

Result!

10. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

with a new one?

11. GigabitEthernet thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. They have ordered a custom 16GB model as that is what my current MBP has. It is being delivered to the store for me to collect.

12. Kushp14 macrumors regular

Good, usually the apple store is more agreeable in these situations.

13. GigabitEthernet thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even have to ask for the replacement. The genius (who had served me the first time this happened) said 'has this happened before?' to which I answered yes. He then said he was going to speak to his manager 'in the back...' He came out about 5 minutes later and offered a replacement screen or replacement laptop.

Out of interest, will this still have the 14 day returns policy due you think, it it were to go wrong in the first 14 days?

I think what I'll end up doing is selling the replacement just before the new ones come out, as this will have the same screen (so is probably just as likely to have the same problems as this one). Hopefully the second gen will be more reliable.

14. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

My original rMBP was repaired 3 times, 2 screens and a WiFi and Bluetooth card, and then a replaced charger.. Then a new dead pixel came, and then i got my machine replaced (This is from Humac, an Apple Premium reseller in Denmark) then the new one did get a dead pixel and then i got a new machine one more time so i have had three Mac's and the new one is perfect :D

15. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

hey did you give the laptop to an authorized service provider or the genius bar?
    reason i ask is cause my cMBP has been to the service guys 3 times for 4 parts i.e a display, logic board, magsafe board and optical drive. Out here in India we have no apple stores just resellers ive asked them for a replacement but they say they do not give.

16. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

I live in Denmark and we are only having authorized premium resellers or what they are called.. :)

But it was 4 time my screen needed a replacement, and here in denmark out law says that 3 repairs at same part the buyer can choose to get it repaired or get the money back or get a replacement.. :)

17. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

pretty good mate. I picked up the macbook yesterday from service and could only use it once i got home as they erased my os partition due to a slow boot. All worked well last night this morning booted to my login on a garbled up display and then restart to a white screen with horizontal lines. anyways spoke to applecare they spoke to seniors and asked me to get in for diagnosis and the best solution. Hopefully some credits for me fingers crossed. Now makes it the fourth visit for the fifth part replacement.

18. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

u just want a new macbook

19. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Mine was replaced. They didn't have my configuration so they just gave me the best confit they had in store which was like 800.00 more than mine. Needless to say I was happy.