replacement macbook..problem...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by desistyle, Jan 23, 2008.

1. desistyle macrumors regular

So I've been having some issues with my 3 week old macbook. I see graphic artifacts when using iMovie and playing flash games. My caps lock key is unresponsive sometimes and I've had battery issues.

I went to the apple store to see a genius, and they offered to replace the machine with a new one. Problem is, I have 1.5 gb RAM (1x1 gig chip, 1x512 chip) and I left the original other 512 chip at my brothers place, who is out of the country.

Unless I can get the original 1 gig of ram (512x2 chips), they won't accept the machine for a exchange with a new one. They will still send it in to have it fixed but i'd rather have a new one.

Do you think that, if I take one 512 chip out and leave the current 1 gig chip, they'll even know? :):confused:

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yeah. The moment someone checks the sys profile, they'll see it. And then retroactively charge you for it. I'll leave you to imagine how much in Apple dollars.

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Probably because they only have to look at 'About this Mac', but it's a sacrifice in my opinion.

It might be easier buying a MATCHING 512MB off ebay or something (It will have to be the same make, model, etc just in case Apple check it).

4. f1 macrumors 6502

Just get your computer repaired... don't stress over one stick of RAM. Whether your computer is repaired or replaced, it'll still be working at the end of the day anyways...

5. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

you're right f1. I'm just going to send it in. It just sucks having to do this 3 weeks after buying a brand new machine...

6. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

if i could get a new one, i think i would rather have a new one. that's just me though. just the thought of my new computer being opened doesn't sound to thrilling to me. good luck!

7. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

I know but at this point I have no choice.....

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

a 512MB stick of RAM will cost about $10 off ebay, have a look.

9. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

But the genius bar guy told me I needed to bring it back in a day or two. I cant wait longer for chips off of ebay.

10. one1 macrumors 65816

Once a lemon, always a lemon.... get rid of that thing. 512 ram is like $15 or so on rebate from several places like Best Buy and Circuit City. I'd pay $25-20 for a new MacBook.........

11. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

I found someone on craigslist which will sell me a 512 chip from their mac mini for $15!

But, the brand is different. It's Nanya and the chips in mine are Hynix. Think it'll be a big deal?

12. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I have a few 512MB chips of that brand from my MacBook. I'll sell you one for $5 (ships from 55410). PM me if you want it.

13. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

I don't think that the brand shows up in system profiler, somebody else please confirm that?

14. desistyle thread starter macrumors regular

yeah the brand definitely doesn't show up, i know that. But what are the chances of them opening it and seeing two different brand chips once it gets back to the factory?

15. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

By the time they do, you'll already have your new macbook :)