Replacement MacMini G4 drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Timan, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Timan macrumors member

Timan

Hey guys, seems the Combo drive on the MacMini (G4) went. It keeps ejecting any cd media, some reason dvd media works fine. I've tried using a lens cleaner, resetting pram, disk permissions, anything little thing you try when your mac acts up.

So seems I need to replace the drive itself. Does it matter what type of drive I replace it with? Apple quoted me 200$ for a replacement "combo" drive, and I am not happy with that price so would rather do it myself.

Seems the drive in it already is a matshita cw-8123, same ones they use in powerbooks, and ibooks. Could I just buy any cheap slot loading drive and pop it in? I just need one that burns cds, as dvd burning is too much for it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. ADent macrumors 6502a

You need a drive that Apple has drivers for. So pretty much anything that is used in some Mac should be OK.

Take a look at Accelerate Your Mac - they have a drive reports section.

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

As my G4's optical drive broke, I didn't bother going to Apple to get them to repair it. Its too old, out of warrenty and to be honest their prices suck.

I bought this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128249 , opened up the Mac mini and slotted it in. You don't have to worry like you used to what hardware is in your Mac. The Mac mini boots from the optical drive and can now burn DVDs.

Your mileage may vary, but you save a bunch of $$$ doing it yourself

pac