Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I bought this item from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....nkw=360222254116&_fvi=1&_rdc=1#ht_3326wt_1020

(item number: 360222254116)

When I run my finger anywhere over the aluminium chassis my finger feels like either the laptop is vibrating, or there is a tiny grain of sand under my finger tip. I know these are both untrue as when my finger is stationary it doesnt do it, and also I can use any finger or even my wrist as i type this.

Then, when I unplug the magsafe, it ceases to do it!

Am I barking up the wrong tree, and also why does it do it only when my finger is moving?

Is this a new issue or has anyone else had their replacement charger causing a funny feeling under the fingers?

PS - it is safe?

Ger

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
That seems unlikely - mainly because electricity could flow to the chassis, but it would be a higher current (It would cause physical pain). Its also nearly impossible that the charger could cause it as it would have to go through the same Power-IN board. So im pretty sure youre barking up the wrong tree :S

gerlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
yes, its the plug which came with the original charger.

It defo only happens when the laptop is plugged into the charger - I just tried it again.

I have emailed the seller - not that that will probably help!

Ger

gorn

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
For what it's worth, I've felt this before using an original apple adapter.

Are you using the 3 prong connector or the 2 prong? Either way try the other one. Generally the 3 prong would be better, but it might be that you're touching another ground that is at a slightly different potential.

gerlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Im in the uk, and only have a 3prong plug adapter.

I have emailed the seller, and he is going to send me another for £1.

Watch this space!

cosminonea

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
same problem here with an early 2011 mbp 17''.
it looks like if you use the charger and plug it straight into the wall socket using the 3 prong plug adapter you get no ground. although the plug adapter has 3 prongs the ground is not connected.

Fortunately if you use the extension power cord everything is fine as it has the ground properly wired.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
That seems unlikely - mainly because electricity could flow to the chassis, but it would be a higher current (It would cause physical pain). Its also nearly impossible that the charger could cause it as it would have to go through the same Power-IN board. So im pretty sure youre barking up the wrong tree :S

Laptops run on Dc low voltage current and amps, so there should be no pain.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
it looks like if you use the charger and plug it straight into the wall socket using the 3 prong plug adapter you get no ground. although the plug adapter has 3 prongs the ground is not connected.

Fortunately if you use the extension power cord everything is fine as it has the ground properly wired.

Every household two prong plug has (or should have) a ground wire and a hot wire, the three prong plug just has an extra (or second) ground wire.

owen9955

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010

This worked a treat for me :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.