Replacement MBP arrived. It's worse! Now What?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smacman, Nov 3, 2008.

1. smacman macrumors 6502

Returned the original system due to a small metal chip in the aluminum body and crooked function keys. The replacement just arrived and not only does it have an even bigger chip (this time in the aluminum above the display) and crooked function keys, but I now also have extremely loose display hinges and a battery cover that does not seem to fit properly (there is a visible gap). I am really losing confidence here. Should I try for another replacement or cut my losses and ask for a refund?
    :apple:=:confused:

2. joystik macrumors member

youre making me nervous! I'm waiting for my mbp to arrive, threads like this scare me!!!!:eek:

3. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I was in the same position as you and I just sent it back to get another one. I really need this computer and I want a perfect one. At least I got my iBook in the meantime but I'm still very pissed. Number 3 better be perfect or else I'll.... I don't know but it better be perfect.

It all depends how much you want a MBP. All my software is on Mac so I pretty much have no legal choice. (Hackintosh is not IMO)

My first one had a faulty superdrive and my second one had unacceptable light leaks (see a thread somewhere on here about it where pretty much everyone agrees)

4. iwanttogarden macrumors member

The battery cover seems like such a small issue, you seriously probably could just get an exchange for the cover through applecare.

But honestly why nitpick in the first place? I don't think you will ever be satisfied (so get a refund).
    And what the heck are crooked keys all about? Keys that are just slightly slanted??

5. smacman thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree about the battery cover. I could totally live with it. The chip in the case however is an eyesore. A brand new computer should not have ANY chips or scratches. The display hinges are very loose compared to the old machine. I was wondering why people were complaining about the loose hinges as I didn't find it that bad on the first machine but now I know. I think I will just get a refund as I've really lost confidence in Apple's quality control lately.

6. smacman thread starter macrumors 6502

7. itcomic macrumors member

send feedback to apple. There is a offical feedback collection site from Apple. Time to complain about the loose hinge and other minor flaws.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Then do you yourself a favour & stop lurking around these forums, people come on here to post issues not to rant on about how good they are ( normally )

9. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

If you're dropping $2000 on a computer, you have a right to have it arrive in perfect shape.

10. TheHoff macrumors 6502

At what price point do you give up that right?

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I'd say $300

12. theoski macrumors member

For a scratch lid, Amazon offered me 20% off. I still returned it. The new one looks good. No scratches, battery cover ok. I havent tried the super drive.

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

For $400 off, I'd live with a scratch if it was the only issue..

14. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

What reputable store would deny you a right to a perfect product right out of the box? Hell, even Walmart would refund my 20 cents if I found a worm in my apple.

15. GT41 macrumors regular

In the words of companies today doesn't this count as a "Built-in Feature"? :p

16. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Good point! I would have asked for more then 20c back if I found a worm in their Apple :p