replacement MBP - clone old SSD or restore certain folders?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TWHH, Jun 13, 2017.

1. TWHH macrumors regular

The SSD went on my Late 2013 MBP, and given the cost of replacing I've sold it for spares and parts and have a new MBP coming tomorrow.

Thankfully the SSD was back up to a bootable drive (via the wonderful Carbon Copy Cloner).

So, question: Should I clone the new drive from the back up, or keep things a bit cleaner by restoring the just the relevant files, ie Music, Docs, Photos etc?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I'd personally set up as new and then drag-and-drop what data you need from the old drive. There's no harm in cloning the drive providing it was on the latest OS, but again I prefer setting up as new. It's completely your discretion though and not an issue whichever route you decide to take.

3. TWHH thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - I'm veering towards a cleaner install, and then just download the apps I actually end up using as and when there's the need to

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

If you're going to do the migration "by hand" (i.e. NOT use either setup assistant or migration assistant), then you could experience permissions problems UNLESS you do this:

- Mount CCC backup on desktop
    - Click ONE time to select it
    - Type command-i (eye) to bring up get info
    - Go to sharing and permissions area
    - Click the lock icon and enter your password
    - Put a check into box "ignore ownership on this volume".
    - Close get info

Now you can copy anything you wish from the backup to the new drive, and copied files will "assume ownership" of your new account.

5. TWHH thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this. I went through the steps and saw that that box was already ticked. I guess its one of the features of the CCC software.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 20, 2017 ---
    Hmm, just went to copy over my Photos library and noticed that the library on my new MBP is ~40GB, but the one on my CCC backup is ~22GB. I was expecting the older one - the backup for my older Mac to be larger!

Any idea why this might be and which library I should use/which I should ditch?