Replacement mighty mouse, required credit card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boldfire, Sep 10, 2009.

1. boldfire macrumors member

So my Mighty Mouse has broken and Apple have offered to send a replacement out to me, but asked for a Credit Card number before hand. Being a debit only guy I said I'd phone back, but before I do and borrow a card from somebody does anybody know why they need a credit card?

2. Aboo macrumors 6502a

They use the credit card as a guaranty that you will send the defective unit back. Basically if you send the defective unit back, using the pre-paid shipping label they send you, there won't be any charge. I believe you have to do this within 10 business days of receipt of the replacement item.

If you don't comply with those instructions, then they will automatically bill the credit card for the value of the mighty mouse (either 49 or 69 dollars)

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

To secure the transaction in case you don't send back the bad one. They'll charge you the cost of the item + shipping if you don't send it back within 10 days or something along those lines.

jW

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ And they're serious. I paid $29 for replacement ear buds because I went to Chicago and forgot to post them off.

5. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Oh wow! I didn't think they expected you to send ear buds back. When my iphone ear phones stopped working, they just sent me a replacement set and told me to throw the other ones away.

But yes, Apple is serious in enforcing the 10 business day rule. However, if you do miss the shipping deadline, and still send your defective product in, they may still bill you, but will refund any charges once the product has been received. I had a similar issue when I did an advance exchange on my iPhone. Ended up scheduling a pick-up withe Fedex - but Fedex didn't show up till like 5 days after the requested pick-up date. They billed me 499 for the phone, and then refunded that amount when they received the defective phone back.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

A while back I had a Mac Pro replaced because of a faulty soundcard.
    They took a credit card number.

Believe me when I say I made sure I got all the relevant docs from the UPS guy when he came to collect it. :D

7. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Yes! Make sure to get a signature on the packing slip or something indicating pick-up. I actually wrote out a declaration for the UPS driver; something along the lines of "I, ______________ (name of driver), a courier for UPS/Fedex have received _______________ item from Booji to be returned to ___________ (recipient) by way of tracking number _______________. And then had the driver sign it and put down his employee number.

Yes that might sound excessive, but I have been burned by courier companies where drivers have "removed" certain products from the boxes...

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Exactly. I was taking no chances… :)

9. boldfire thread starter macrumors member

10. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

It's a ridiculous system for people without credit cards. The next tier up of people can send them to you without having your credit card details. Just explain and perhaps ask politely if the support person can ask someone else, as you have only a debit card?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the only solution for that is the Apple [Retail] Store.