Replacement of warranty Ipad 4 Gen 16

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tpirkle, Mar 15, 2013.

1. tpirkle macrumors newbie

Had defective Gen 4 Ipad . Took to Apple Store and they confirmed defect immediately. First time in apple store and was quite out of my comfort zone.
    Had appointment and served quickly. I was given " brand new" and not 'New Refurb " unit. Very busy atmosphere. I got item home and started wondering: Did I get like unit or a Gen 3 replacment ? I don`t know the difference. How can i tell. Work order shows flat rate replacement @ $299. I paid $499 for my Ipad. Any ideas out here. It`s not like I have a Gen 3 and wanted Gen 4. I had Gen 4 retina display and want same as what I had. Kind inputs please. I`m a newbie.

2. Mr512 macrumors newbie

Punch your serial number in here and on the top it'll tell you what model you have.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It will be a remanufactured one which is the same as the one you had.

The "remanufactured" one may have refurbished internals, but will have a new battery and new outer casing, and will have been through better QC than a new one :).

4. monk fish macrumors member

5. kaplanreject macrumors member

Wouldnt the Gen 3 have the old 30pin dock connector and the Gen 4 have the lightning connector???

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That would be a big first clue.

As for the price. $299 is the part price. Basically with service they literally charge the price for the part, sans any licensing etc that might up the price as well as profit margin. That's the reason why it under cuts the retail price. Not to mention that they tend to cap those prices. So rather than nitpick over the $5-10 different storage might add to the figure they just flat line the prices. So say all the wifi only gen 4 iPads are $299 the +cell are $329 (or whatever). Refurbs on the other hand are retail price minus say 20%. So pricing basically tells you nothing about the unit. But it does come in handy if you break the dang thing without apple care. Since Apple is nice enough to let you buy the service part when they can likely legally make you just go buy another retail one you get a nice discount at times.

They have those prices in the paperwork for legal reasons even when its paid by your warranty. Lawsuits, shareholders demanding summaries of profit lessening warranty service and so on are good reasons to want their cost and not retail amounts on that paperwork even if the unit was a fresh made part.

7. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

LOL!

This simple observation would have rendered this entire thread useless.