Replacement Panel as External Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nlynch77, Mar 19, 2013.

  1. nlynch77 macrumors member

    Mar 18, 2013
    I want to buy the higher resolution panel for my Macbook Pro. However, leaving the old beautiful display to waste is a huge shame.

    Google failed me in my searches.

    What I need to know:
    Is there any converter to connect my Macbook Pro to it's old display (ie. hdmi to display, VGA/DVI to display, ect)?

    Power consumption??

    Will brightness controls work?

  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    What MBP model do you have? I presume one those Unibody Aluminium ones in 15" and you want to replace the 1440 x 900 pixel panel with a 1680 x 1050 panel?
  3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Feb 4, 2013
    It's possible, though it won't be pretty. You'll need to find a controller board with the right interface.

    There's a guy on Ebay that sells a bunch of that kind of thing:

    I don't know what interface the screen uses, but a bit of probing should tell that easily enough. Then it's just a matter of building an enclosure that makes it all look presentable.

    It would undoubtedly be cheaper and easier to buy another monitor, but it sounds like a fun DIY project :)
  4. nlynch77 thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 18, 2013
    Yeah I want to replace my standard-res with the high-res for my 15' MBP. I saw a few on iFixit for a reasonable price.

    I just worry that Apple's odd connection method will limit my options for connection. I don't believe HDMI or VGA/DVI have native brightness support nor the ability to provide power, so i really don't know whether this is possible... maybe with an external power supply at least turning it on would be possible.

Share This Page