Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlynch77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
I want to buy the higher resolution panel for my Macbook Pro. However, leaving the old beautiful display to waste is a huge shame.

Google failed me in my searches.

What I need to know:
Is there any converter to connect my Macbook Pro to it's old display (ie. hdmi to display, VGA/DVI to display, ect)?

Power consumption??

Will brightness controls work?

Price?

Nov 28, 2010
located
What MBP model do you have? I presume one those Unibody Aluminium ones in 15" and you want to replace the 1440 x 900 pixel panel with a 1680 x 1050 panel?

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
It's possible, though it won't be pretty. You'll need to find a controller board with the right interface.

There's a guy on Ebay that sells a bunch of that kind of thing:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/njytouch/m.html

I don't know what interface the screen uses, but a bit of probing should tell that easily enough. Then it's just a matter of building an enclosure that makes it all look presentable.

It would undoubtedly be cheaper and easier to buy another monitor, but it sounds like a fun DIY project :)

nlynch77

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Yeah I want to replace my standard-res with the high-res for my 15' MBP. I saw a few on iFixit for a reasonable price.

I just worry that Apple's odd connection method will limit my options for connection. I don't believe HDMI or VGA/DVI have native brightness support nor the ability to provide power, so i really don't know whether this is possible... maybe with an external power supply at least turning it on would be possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.