Replacement parts for MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sunnydayzrback, Jul 10, 2009.

1. sunnydayzrback macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am new to the mac community. I just ordered a new MBP 13" , stock model. I saw some threads on the site where users suggested that I upgrade the RAM and HD by myself and save a few bucks.

I found this deal for RAM and am struck on what HD should I buy as a replacement. I am looking for a 500GB hard drive.

Is there any better deal for RAM than the one I have mentioned? Also do I need any tools other than the Torx t6 and Philips #00 screwdriver ?

Thanks in advance,
    Pogo.

2. mls64 macrumors member

For RAM prices, check http://www.dealram.com. Crucial is great quality RAM, you can't go wrong.

NewEgg is a great place to buy. Here's a tip to save a bit more - sign up for Ebates, it is free, you get $5 posted to your account, and then click on the NewEgg store link and you'll get a rebate posted to your Ebates account when you buy there. I use Ebates as a portal for most of my online shopping, including eBay, and it is amazing how fast the rebates stack up.

3. sunnydayzrback thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thank you for the details. I signed up for an Ebate account and will buy through them. Does any one know what hard disk I should get as replacement?

Regards,
    Pogo

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You may want to do a search on what hard drive to buy; there's tons of threads on this subject. That being said, the three to choose from would be the 500 gig 5400 rpm western digital scorpio blue, 320 gig 7200 rpm wd scorpio black and 500 gig 7200 rpm seagate 7200.4.

5. Noonzio macrumors member

I've had both the WD and the Hitachi 500 gigs from New Egg (in both MacBooks and Mac Minis) and the only comment I would have is that the fan came on a lot more, in my MacBook, when I had the WD in it - I'm buying only Hitachi's now and have a Hitachi 500 gig in my MB, my MM and my PS3

6. sunnydayzrback thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I found out during my research as well. I have decided to go with this. But now, I am undecided where to get these supplies from. One world Computing offers lifetime replacement for my Ram and costs $10 more. Should I buy from OWC or Newegg ?

Thanks guys!!

7. RedWings macrumors regular

I wouldn't worry about getting lifetime warrenties for RAM. Newegg always has great deals, great customer service, and they ship fast. You cAn't go wrong with them.

8. sunnydayzrback thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So I have decided on these two .

HD
    RAM

unless you guys have something better to suggest. cost comes to around $180

Thankyou guys!

9. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

seem like good choices to me. I went with 5400 rpm when upgrading my MBP and dont regret it for a second.

10. sunnydayzrback thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does this replacing ram and harddisk void apple's warranty?

Cheers,
    Pogo

11. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

My understanding is that it does ONLY IF you break something. Otherwise, ram and HD are consider user serviceable parts.

12. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin