Replacement Phone: New or Refurb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aggie03, Jul 6, 2010.

1. aggie03 macrumors newbie

Just had to swap out my original iPhone 4 with a replacement from the Genius bar at my local Apple store. The Genius told me that the phone I would get to replace the original would be new; however, it wouldn't be in the typical retail box.

I don't care about the box; however, I really don't want a refurbed phone, 8 days after I purchased a brand new phone.

Initially I didn't doubt what the Genius guy told me; however, some friends at work have told me that they bet it is a refurb.

Anyone aware of this?

The phone came with the protective films on it, and looks in perfect condition.

Do they really even have refurbs yet?

Thoughts?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

it's not refurbished. It's too "new" to have refurbished units.

And even if it WAS (which is an almost impossibility at the moment) - all it would mean is that apple took the phone and completely overhauled/examined it for any issues.

Which is actually, in my opinion, a better "deal" at the moment then phones coming off the truck for the first time

3. diamondschwin macrumors member

It should be too early for refurb units so I would think it would just be a new replacement.

There serial number for a new phone starts with 86 87 or 88, refurbs start with 5k usually. If you have any doubt check the serial number of the new unit.

That being said, the refurb units are nothing to sneeze at, but I wouldnt want a refurb unless I had to exchange a phone months from now, it seems silly to get a refurb within the first month.

4. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Someone else mentioned in another thread that their replacement had come in just a plan black box from the apple retail store but that the handset was in fact new, also has there been enough time for refurbs to be available??

5. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

can you post first 5 digits of your serial number?

6. aggie03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys (and ladies) for the info, my phone's serial number starts with:

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

They're definitely new. I had to swap my phone twice. The first phone I received on release day was a week 22 (88022) phone, swapped it and got a week 24 (86024). Today I swapped again and got a week 26 (87026). Apple has a set amount of new iphones set aside just for replacements. About a month in, who knows if they're inserting the returned phones into the mix for replacements.

8. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

its new. the 88 in your serial number signifies the factory number it was made in, 026 is the date: 0 is the year (2010), 26 is the week, so your phone was manufactured at factory with code #88 during the 26th week of 2010.

refurbished units have the factory number replaced with '5K', to indicate it is a refurbished phone.

9. aggie03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

My buddy has a serial number of 82025. Just to add to the knowledge base, it appears that factory 82 also manufactures iPhones.

10. bushibia macrumors member

What did you guys get the phone replaced for?

11. f00f macrumors 65816

My iPhone 4 (first an only so far) is an 83026.

My fiancé just got her second replacement, an 88026. It arrived at the Apple store in a plain brown box that contained a plain black box that contained the phone within a little foam baggy. Definitely a new phone. Her first replacement also came in a black box -- it's just too early for refurbs to be on the market.

Both her exchanges were for camera issues that made skin tones look overly orange.

12. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I think it's far too early for refurbs. Just to add, I'm 88024. I must have the very early edition.