Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
hello, I am in the UK and recently had my phone replaced under warranty in the Apple Store. My old phone was locked to EE, does anyone know if the new phone will also be locked or will it be unlocked? I've not put a SIM in it yet as I'm using a S8

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple replaces like for like. If it was locked, the replacement will be locked.

That said, if when you turn the phone on you are presented with a screen that allows you to choose your carrier then this is your opportunity to choose a carrier whose policy is to unlock their phones.

That's the experience I had in March when I turned in a Sprint iPhone 5 locked to Sprint. Because I was presented with that screen I was able to choose Verizon (which unlocks their LTE enabled devices) and the phone unlocked.

If you are NOT presented with that screen then you can be pretty sure it's still locked to your carrier.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
I'm in the UK, all carriers unlock, either for a fee or free,of charge.

Question is if I go through my carrier to unlock they don't know I own that phone

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
The guy in store did put my SIM in it, so its likely locked. Does that mean I still go to EE to unlock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.