Replacement Policy On Watch Is Real Bad

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TXCraig, May 14, 2015.

1. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

So I got up on launch day and ordered a watch at 2:04 AM CT and just received my SS link band watch on Wednesday. I had trouble with the watch not pairing properly and called support.

They had me unpair my watch, and reset the watch... it would still not complete the pairing process.

They had me then reset the network settings on my iPhone 6 plus and the watch paired. I thought my issues were gone

Day 1 - my watch would be attached to my phone but the watch app would tell me its not connected...even though the watch status showed connected to my phone. The battery drained from 100% to 0 in less then 4 hours.

Day 2 - still having the same issues any my fully charged watched ran for 3 hours before it was almost out of battery.

I called support again - they said it sounds like I got a bad watch and I need to replace it. I told them I would like to get a apt at the store, have them look at it, and if it's bad - replace it. They told me the APPLE STORES have no replacement stock. (this is the craziest thing I have ever heard)

They told me if I wanted to return the watch to apple.com I could do so and then order another watch. I told them "you mean I would have to wait months for the replacement"? they said yes.

I told them that was not going to work so they told me i then would have to PURCHASE applecare plus on my 1 day old watch and they would send out and express replacement. I was shocked this was needed to get a watch replaced by apple that cost me a thousand bucks and I just paid 80 more. After PAYING for AppleCare I found out their "express" watch replacement was going to take 3 days or so to ship and they were going to put a $600 hold on my credit card (now we are up to $1,680 for a watch that does not work) and it would stay until I returned the broken watch.

So am I crazy for thinking Apple has dropped the ball on customer service that we all know and love from Apple? I'm pissed!

2. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Making you pay for Apple care to get a replacement under the normal 1 year warranty sounds odd at best, and illegal at worst. I'd be pissed too.

3. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

That situation sucks. But either apple has gone off the deep end, or you're embellishing when you say your replacement was going to cost you a thousand bucks.

Everything else is pretty standard. AppleCare gets priority. Any company would put a hold on your card for a product this expensive to make sure you're good for it.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

I will say that I think something was miscommunicated. You only need AppleCare+ if you want to setup an express replacement. Otherwise, you should have been able to ship your watch back and then have them send you a new one. Granted, this might take weeks, but it's better than months.

Also, out of warranty replacement on stainless steel is $329.

Edit: here's the page that explains it all. https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=watch

5. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

Yes thats messed up I would be pissed but I think getting apple care for the apple watch is the best choice anybody can make

6. gmann21133, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

gmann21133 macrumors member

gmann21133

Before You Send It Back

Before you send it back, back up your phone to your preferred method (iCloud or iTunes) Then reset your phone and setup as a new iPhone. Then make sure if it is a watch problem, and not your phone. See if it works like this before you spend days without your device, when it could be some rogue software on your phone.;)

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This actually sums up what happened perfectly. They were willing to replace your watch, but you would have to wait weeks. As an AC+ "owner" they would offer you express replacement. You basically paid a premium to get it earlier. It sounds dirty, but actually is the difference between having ac+ and not having it.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

9. irentamac macrumors regular

irentamac

+1

10. TXCraig thread starter macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I went up 5 levels... The repair process I was told is the process. I'd be happy to send you a clip of the email from my Amex account showing I was charged 610 until the broken watch is replaced. The SS is 550 plus tax. That is just the watch... The replacement ships with no band and I have to swap them.

----------

The watch I purchased was a thousand bucks. 999 plus tax

11. Presonance macrumors regular

Presonance

Honestly this is unacceptable. They should set aside a small portion of stock so that you don't have to wait weeks to get another one. Having to wait that much longer or buy AppleCare+ is absurd.

Try emailing Tim Cook and see what you get back.

12. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

The replacement policy is a joke. My Mom's watch arrived defective. I've been assigned a senior advisor (probably in title only), I do not get timely calls back, nor have I gotten many detailed answers. Now the advisor is out for two days so I guess I will wait till next week.

It's bad enough we paid $750 with taxes and now Apple expects me to ship it back and wait some more. They haven't even given a timeframe for when the replacement might ship.

This whole launch has been a mess, but there should be available stock for replacements.

13. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

Interesting, I'm in exactly the same situation even down to the awol senior advisor. The only difference is I actually sent them my watch and am still waiting 10 days later.

Oh and I have applecare+ and it makes absolutely no difference whats so ever.

14. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I say no to extended warranties most of the time. I Said yes this time. I've read numerous posts where this is exactly what happened. You get the watch replaced quicker with Apple care. this is because of the shortage. Things could be different come July.

But s/s and sapphire I understand not getting it. But I'm skeptical that battery will last two years.

15. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I didn't make that mistake. I am waiting on the call back before I send it in. I want to know when the replacement will ship. Advisor was in last two days. I called twice and no return calls. Now he's out of the office two days.

Great job Apple.

16. Jrdn13crvr macrumors regular

Just a heads up- i had to do this with my iphone. You can CANCEL apple care within 30 days for a FULL refund. Seriously.

17. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

I agree I made the mistake of sending my watch in. The advisor in question did tell me that the problem would be resolved in 2-4 days and I believed him. 10 days later I'm sitting around wondering what the time is ;)

Yep, my advisor never returns my calls either and doesn't work Thursday's and Friday's. I left 3 messages for him last week and not one was returned. I'm sick of listening to his voicemail message TBH. I think we either have the same advisor or this is how Apple advisors are trained to behave.

18. TXCraig thread starter macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Thanks! For the info. Can't you get your iPhone replaced in the Store? I always have been able to be taken care of. Not in this case.

19. BradDylan macrumors member

Hi,

In my memory you have never been able to get a replacement of a product in an Apple Store until a certain amount of time after release.

B

20. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Yeah life is tough for some. Considering the shortage of watches no, it's not surprising they don't have replacement watches yet.

----------

No one made him do anything.... HE chose that option to get a watch sent out to him.... HUGE difference that you seemed to have missed.

----------

Yeah it sure is a hard knock life for some.

Remember while you guys are complaining about replacement watches thousands don't have a watch at all.

21. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

just add applecare, replace it, then cancel it.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you check the AMEX website, it should show in the Pending Transactions area, and never actually move down to the Posted Transactions area (assuming you return your old watch within the 10 day window).

They basically just made sure you had $610 of available credit before they sent out the watch.

At least that's how it's always worked with my Apple Express Replacements. Never saw any of them actually come through as an actual charge.

If you did the regular AppleCare warranty process (where you ship them your old product first), they wouldn't do this.

23. Jrdn13crvr macrumors regular

Yes, but i usually prefer the express replacement route to save the trip (45 minutes to the nearest apple store). But seriously, speak to the rep about the cancelation policy- i believe its 30 days and it should allow you to do your express replacement for free and then just cancel apple care if you wish! I found this out because i sell my iphone every year and you can actually call anytime and cancel apple care, however after a month you get less and less money back. I get $50-$55 back every year

24. Fiestaman macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure in the fine print that it says you can cancel within 30 days as long as you haven't utilized the AppleCare, so you may not be able to cancel.

EDIT: From the terms for AppleCare for Apple Watch, so I'd assume you won't be able to cancel since the service provided would exceed the cost of the Apple Care.

25. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

To be clear:
    If I read the OP post correctly... Apple did NOT say any such thing.
    They merely said that's the only way to get an EXPRESS replacement.