Replacement power adapter under warranty - only 85W?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesraward, Oct 26, 2010.

1. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

Just had my power supply fail and replaced today at the apple store, I commented that it was bigger; turns out it's an 85W to replace the 60W that is broken. He said that the 85W is the only one they use for replacements - is this true?!

He backed it up saying "well it'll charge your mac faster". That's all well and good but the fact that they're replacing 60W with 85w as a rule seems a little unlikely to me, can anyone else corroborate?

Kinda goes against the 'green' ethics of minimising power consumption...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It will work just fine. As for "green", the difference is too small to measure.

3. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

Very true, however it is bigger and heavier - this means that it now no longer fits in the pocket that it used to in my bag! A bit of a pain, but manageable nonetheless.

As for increased power consumption, I realise for me the extra 25W won't make a colossal difference, however add up all of the replacements - there is something more there!

I was more wondering if anyone else has had this said to them - just seems strange to change them for only one model, and not like-for-like. If I had a MBair I think I'd be rather unhappy with this bigger thing in my bag!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The MBA uses a 45W adapter. Apples and oranges.

5. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

The laptop will only draw the power it was meant to draw anyways, but you can always call Apple and see if they will replace that power adapter.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They already did.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

I think he meant to call Apple and see if there's any way to replace the 85W with the normal power brick.

8. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

True, but it's not really A&O, he said that all PSU replacements are now with 85W adapters.

Anyway I'm more curious, this thing is brand new, it's an Ali L connector, as opposed to the plastic T one, so it's a little more chic.

End of the day, they replaced it, foc, for one that was probably not working as a result of my use (or rabbit) so I'm not complaining, just curious if this'd happened to anyone else!

:)