Replacement Power Amp - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by UltraNEO*, May 23, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Currently, as you know I have a few JBL Control 5's in my studio, I've had them for a while and I still love them, despite having to replacing both of the main drivers every so often :rolleyes: In my opinion they're lovely monitors, does a great job! So as a cost effective measure, so I think they'll stay for now. For this reason I'm gonna give powered monitors for a miss - should anyone suggest them. :)

Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading that power amp to something more suitable. My current amp still works but it's a little crackly and it doesn't have any balanced inputs. Also, I think it's more of an audiophile amp.

Budget:
    I don't wanna go crazy!
    So i'm gonna limit my budget to £300~1000.

Requirment:
    Balanced inputs
    Ideally 150W RMS @ 4Ω
    Linear
    Rackable a plus

Currently I'm looking at the ART SLA2,
    I've read some good reviews but not had time to test them against the Controls. I'm also aware it's power output is slightly higher then my monitors, so I'm wondering is it possible to cap them using the front pots?

I'm also considering the more expensive Flying Mole mono blocks, Class D. Other people have suggested them.. and from the various reviews, they're a sure winner but I'm not sure. :rolleyes: Anyone with personal experience?

[​IMG]

Other suggestions? Anyone?

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Good advice on the Flying Moles there. Class D is good stuff these days. I think there is a rack mount option for the mono blocks too.
    I believe they got a bit more costly due to the UK's broke exchange rate. But still cost much less than any Bryston, and damn nearly as good.

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks dude..

What's the difference between the BI version and the BB? I was thinking the amp is the same, connections at the rear different. Correct?
    You think this in itself is enough to hike the price by almost £200? I don't.. (T_T)

[​IMG]

Those Flying Moles are why too expensive here, that's the main reason I'm thinking about giving them a miss.. My other option is to buy them while i'm next in Japan but then the voltages will be wrong! Hahaha can't win!

4. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Hmm yes, something strange is going on there. The prices seem to vary wildly, when connectors shouldn't really amount to so much difference. And as far as I can see, that is indeed the only difference.
    Ideally, i'd have thought the BB model is what you want. But the (much cheaper) BI would work just great too. It has the speakon output, so you'd simply need the appropriate cable with plug.
    Just one place I checked.. Dolphin music:
    BB = £500
    BI = £260 !

Same amp, different connectors. Seems crazy but there you go. Obviously you need 2.

I believe they are made in Japan? So I expect they could be cheaper there. And just maybe a friendly dealer would get you the euro voltage models. Cant hurt to ask? Unless of course these things have an auto sensing power supply. FM's website isn't working for me right now, so I cant check.

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Using a speakon connector for studio application is cool, just means it's a more secure connection, less of a chance of things being disconnected, i guess. Gotta visit Maplins, me thinks.

Where is the rackmount for them then?
    I've only seen the rock for another version of the amp.

Thanks dude.

6. hakukani macrumors regular

Ummm--ditch the JBLs, and get some good powered monitors.

I know, I know-you like the control 5's....:)

7. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks for the advice! I agree, I'll eventually ditch them but I seriously doubt I'll be investing in 'powered' monitors, if anything, I'd sooner go for true 'active' monitors with independent amps and protection circuits for each driver.

However, for the time being, I'm gonna stick to having separate power-amps and speakers cause they're much more flexible!! Especially on a low budget.

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Haha!! Just found a pair of those Flying Moles (DAD M100DC) for about £130. They're gonna be coming directly from Tokyo, Japan..

Here's how they look.
    [​IMG]

I sure ain't gonna pay the UK price for them, especially since they're not worth that much!

9. CalumC macrumors regular

Our college studios all use Samson Servo 260s, all work absolutely fine, never heard of a problem with them.

10. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

If you can get them cheaper, then thats great! But don't discount them on what they are worth at retail. FM amps and other modern Class D amps compete with amps that are much much more expensive. Fact. So the retail price really isn't bad at all, given their performance.
    So it seems you got a real bargain :)
    12v dc and an ac input seems odd though?! Did you find out if the AC input is a multi voltage affair?

As for the rack issue, I cant find out any more than you, as the FM website is still broke :rolleyes: I'd bet its easy to knock up an easy rackmount solution of your own however. Many places will sell you a 1U rack tray which you could fix the amps to.

11. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Don't quote me, could be wrong but I reckon the 12DC connects to the amp side of the module, after the integrated switch-mode PSU since most IC's can't handle high voltages.

Thanks for the great advice!! I'll have to search around as prices seem to fluctuate so much. Buying everything from Europe usually works out to be 20~30% cheaper in most cases, especially pro-equipment.

However, I've learnt something to new today. The Japanese company that manufactures those Flying Mole modules have either gone bankrupted completely :( or they've closed for the recession :(:(, seems UK distributors can't source any more stock as I'm looking for an additional two... :eek::mad:

12. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I understand your desire for balanced inputs. However, if you can get past that, I highly recommend the Adcom GFA-545.

It uses the faster 2SA/2SC than the 535/555 which uses the slower 2SB/2SD output devices. All well matched Toshiba transistors from the 80s. The first 545 is also direct coupled, not capacitor coupled like the 555 MKii

The amps are impeccably designed.