Replacement power cord for TBD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac210882, Aug 26, 2014.

  1. Mac210882 macrumors newbie

    Aug 26, 2014
    Hi Guys,

    Does anyone know where I can purchase a couple of UK spec Thunderbolt display power cords? I have 2 x US purchased displays on their way to the UK as part of our repatriation move, and I need to replace the two prong US spec power cord with the three pin UK spec cord.

    Ideally I'd like genuine Apple replacements rather than a cheap chinese version, I'd also like to try and find the correct TBD cable that has the rubber 'bung' that fills the aperture in the rear of the display - see image here showing what I mean:



  2. MattZani macrumors 68030


    Apr 20, 2008
    Apple would be your best bet.

    Otherwise any old regular kettle lead will work, very common connector and it will fit in fine.
  3. Mac210882 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 26, 2014
    Thanks Matt, I assume the genuine Apple cable is going to be the only one with the circular bung connector...?
  4. MCAsan macrumors 601


    Jul 9, 2012
    Why not use an adapter on the end of the cable? I routinely use adapters when in UK, Sweden, South Africa, etc. These days modern power supplies can accept an input from 120-240 VAC at 50 or 60 Hz.
  5. Mac210882 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 26, 2014
    Because I want a permanent solution that's neat and tidy that doesn't rely on adapters. If I was simply travelling and it was a temporary solution, then I totally agree, I'd use an adapter, but we're moving back to the UK and this will be a permanent home office, so I wanted a permanent fix.

    I've actually ordered a couple of white 'kettle' style power cables from Amazon as recommended by the first reply. I'll just have to live without the moulded plug that fits the back of the TBD. As they'll be against a wall, nobody is going to see them anyway.

Share This Page