Replacement power for Lacie drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thecounthahaha, Nov 18, 2014.

1. thecounthahaha macrumors regular

Hi,

I've bought lots of Lacie drives over the years and have a load of the Black plastic Quadras and the d2 metal Quadras lying about that I want to use.

My problem is that I seem to have misplaced the corresponding power cables..!

I can buy the official ones from Lacie here:

https://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10479

but is there anything special about them that warrants extra cost?

Can I get any 12v-3A DC charger and it'll do the same job? ie:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Supply-Volt-Adapter-Screen-BLACK/dp/B009Z9R24Y

I'm not 100% sure on what matter and doesn't matter on the label. The Lacie P/S says 36W, which it doesn't on the amazon link.

Thanks very much!

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

The only problem with buying the generic power supplies is that the barrel connector may be a different size...

BTW, since the amazon link says it's 12V, 3A, then if you do your math, it comes to 36W also.

3. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, that makes sense. W=V*A rings a bell!

How do I tell what size the barrel connector will be - is there a 'standard' or anything?

Thanks!

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

how old are the drives? i called lacie once and even though one of my drives was out of warranty, they shipped me a new power supply.

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

There probably is a standard, but I'm unaware of it :)

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Standard issue by whom?

Seriously, the extra cost for a name brand LaCie power supply is very little compared to the original cost of the drives and enclosures.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There are vendors beside LaCie that sell the power supplies, and at a discount. Its been over a year since I was shopping but, at the time, the discounted price was along the lines of other supplies with unknown compatibility.