Replacement refurb phone, can I downgrade to older baseband?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by E3BK, Jun 6, 2010.

1. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

After some frustrating months with serious crashing, reboots and other issues, I finally had enough and took my iPhone 3GS to the Apple store, knowing i May not be able to unlock it again =(. They gave me a replacement phone off the bat and the Genius commended me on my patience. He said he's seen a lot of people come in after it crashes once. Meh, it's a computer, it happens. But it had gotten to the point where it was crashing and needing a full reset weekly.

Anyway, the refurb serial number starts with 5K019 so it means it is refurb, made in 2010, week 19, yes?

I haven't JB/unlocked my iPhone since I went overseas last November. I thought it may have been the reason for all the crashing so i went back to stock. (Obv the crashing continued and got worse so that probably wasn't it.) I may be going overseas again next month so I wanted to unlock it again but I don't think I can do that now, right?

Can anyone confirm if that's the case? If I can JB it, do I run that fuzzy band thing before unlocking? I'm a little fuzzy on what fuzzy band does.

I don't think I can use any of the Dev team unlocks but does Blackrain/Blacksn0w work? How about this new Spirit thing? I read the websites and I can usually figure this stuff out myself but it has gotten a little confusing. What is an SHSH blob??

32GB 3GS
    Serial # 5K019....
    FW 3.1.3 (7E18)
    Baseband 5.12.01

*sings* Like a noooobie...unlocked for the very first time......

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you cannot downgrade the baseband on a 3GS once its updated.
    Fuzzyband only works for early built 3G models.

3. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

So I can not use Spirit to jailbreak? Or I can use Spirit to jailbreak but then can not use Blacksn0w to unlock because of the baseband?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yers, you can use Spirit to JB.
    You cannot unlock. If you install blacksnow it will just mess up your iphone and would need a restore. It wont unlock your current baseband.

5. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

OK. Thanks for confirming. No need to JB is I can't unlock I guess. Hoping an unlock for 4.0 will come.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Can't be much clearer than this: MuscleNerd Tweet from an hour ago

People still ask, but sure, with both 4.0 & iPhoneHD coming out this month, so too will the 3.1.3/4.0 carrier unlocks
    about 1 hour ago via Twittelator