Replacement/Repair... my right ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Dec 23, 2008.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I have had my unibody Macbook Pro about 6 weeks. Yesterday I had a big problem with it, I thought it shut down, so naturally I closed the lid, when I looked at it again I realized that it was asleep. After using the trouble shooting guides I ended up removing the battery and restarting the mac like that, and now it works. The battery/hhd cover is now quite loose and it will move easily about 2-3mm which is annoying.

When I try to insert a DVD/CD it feels like there is something inside jamming the drive, so I always have to press the eject button before inserting a disc.

The fans rev up quite a lot when a disc in inserted but this may be normal, also the temperature gets to about 93 degrees. And ona few occasions the whole thing has froze even when there is no disc.

Am I being too picky, or are these symptoms ' normal'. I doubt that the cover is normal but I guess I could live with it. I just wondered if I would be ' entitled' to a new machine because if they are just going to repair it I won't bother; I can't be without it as I have loads of work to do and I doubt that a repair will fix the cover ( and yes I have read all the threads about this and moving the tabs does not resolve the issues)

NStocks

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

The processor running at 93 degrees doesn't sound too bad. All I can advise you to do is to call Apple and tell them you issues with it. You can also take it into an Apple Store if you are fortunate enough to have one close by. Good luck!

3. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

You'd need to let it go for repair. Outside of the two week guarantee (where you can take it back to the store, no questions asked), the warranty applies and under the warranty, it depends on how many previous repairs you've had.

I had a few problems with my old macbook, and apple tried repairing it again and again until even they got to a point (two and a half years later since, like you, I could only be without it at certain times) where they said 'we're not going to repair it anymore. We're just going to replace it'. That came around 5 repairs in.

When you say you thought you shut it down, what exactly did you do? Click shut down but close the lid before it did? Simply opening the lid fixes that problem.

I imagine calling Apple will get your disk drive replaced under warranty, but the cover is a iffy point - mine doesn't fit perfectly, and in all honesty it doesn't affect the machine so I'm not bothered. If that's the case with yours, you should let that one go.

In summary: The only thing that Apple will be even likely to consider replacing here is the disk drive. The rest is picky and a complete non-issue to the function of the machine. But call them, explain the situation. Be honest about it all, and I'm sure they'll help you as much as they can. Just don't be under any impression you'll get a replacement machine - they'll repair it for around 5 times before this even becomes an option.

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I didn't want it repairing because it would take too long, and I don't want the hassle. Also I chose the shut down button, waited for the screen to go black then shut the lid, so I don't know what happened but it didn't go right.

I guess that all Apple will do is say take it to your nearest store or repair centre... 2 hours away !

NStocks

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Just called them up, and explained the problems and they have setup for a replacement. I told them quite honestly the problems and they didn't even ask questions, then they put me through to somebody else who has arranged for a courrier to contact me to pick the mac up.

They said that they will inspect the machine then send me out a new one.

I just realised, I forgot to ask if I send the whole package i.e the white box, manuals etc, and that I get the same deal back i.e as if I just went to a store and bought one... Any ideas about this?

NStocks

6. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, just had it all verified and heres what is happening :

A courier will contact me within 2 days to arrange a collection of my mac, and all its contents including the original box, manuals etc.

Once they receive it they will inspect it and if they just find one fault i.e. the loose battery cover then they will send me a brand new one, as if I just bought it.

I can't get over how easy it is to get a brand new machine worth over £1300.00 ! I even asked I they don't find a software fault like the hight temp, or occasional crash then that doesn't matter, just as long as they find one problem, because I said that I don't want a repair.

I really hope this goes through and I receive a new one with no problems ( but I haven't lied tot hem so I don't see how ).

I also asked how long it will take and they said that they cannot give me a time, but they have taken more staff on over christmas so it shouldn't be too long. Just as long as I get it before Jan 3rd, so that I can get my work done before college.

... anyone ever got a replacement, how long did it take, any implications ?

thanks for your help

NStocks

7. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Ours was an in-store replacement. So it was immediate.

8. pointandclick macrumors regular

Good to hear your getting taken care of.
    Hope the new machine works out.