Replacement Screws

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seepel, Jun 4, 2011.

1. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Hey, does anyone know where I could get some replacement screws for my 2009 MacBook Pro? It works fine but I'm considering selling it and a couple of the screws on the bottom are missing which probably won't help the value I get on it.

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

3. JamDonut macrumors member

As cloroxbleach 4 said,

best to get something like this from somewhere like eBay, cheap and easy to find :)

4. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

5. seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

Thanks for the tips guys, now I realized I have another problem. I replaced my superdrive with an optibay, and now I'm now missing the three screws that hold the superdrive's rear mount. I have the mount but not the screws... Any thoughts?

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Go to he Apple stare and ask if they can sell you the screws or at least verify the specs.

7. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Also, when you remove screws, keep them in a bowl or something so you don't lose them.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Go to the Apple store and get the screws for free - just ask nicely. It's funny how the most obvious answer doesn't come up first. People are so afraid of face-to-face confrontation these days that they'd do anything to avoid it.

9. matt94gt macrumors member

true, chances are they will have some kicking around.

10. seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

Going to the Apple Store is a thought, I'm somewhat skeptical that they would just hand over some screws. The other issue is that I would like to avoid them telling me that I've voided my warranty as my battery is teetering on the 80% mark and looks like it very well may need replacing and I still have a year and a half on my Apple Care.

11. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Cheap? He's charging $45 for a set of small screws. It should be $5 max. They're standard screws btw - you can get any of these screws from an electronic parts store or hobby store.

12. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Seriously, just ask nicely and see what happens. I had a screw missing on my MBP and I didn't even do any mods to it. It just came loose one day and fell out over time.

Apple store do some of the easier repairs in the backroom so they should definitely have spare screws laying around. For the ones on the inside, can't really help you there... but the ones on the outside should not be an issue.

13. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

If your battery is bad and covered by Applecare..I would just take it in, tell them about the problem and say a couple screws fell out and are missing and if they have any spare ones would they mind putting them in. Solve two problems at the same time.

14. seepel, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014

seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

The screws that are missing aren't the type that would just fall off. There is a little metal bracket that holds the optical drive on. There are two screws that mount the bracket to the optical drive, and then another screw that secures the optical drive through the bracket. These are the screws that are missing. I'm pretty sure that the optical drive is not considered a user replaceable part, and as such would probably void my warranty.