Replacement serial # 6111.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bbmiLo, May 16, 2011.

1. bbmiLo macrumors regular

The home button stopped working completely when I was in Shanghai last month, the Apple store there could not honor any warranty repair or replacement since it's a USA phone locked to AT&T.

Somehow the issue magically solved itself. I went to the Apple store in Manhattan this afternoon, just to try my luck, I did not expect them do anything since it works fine right now.

Talked to a Genius, showed him the work sheet for the Shanghai store, it confirms the home button not working but warranty rejected.
    The guy was nice enough to give me a replacement right on the spot.

Now, I asked if it's a new or refurb phone, he said he would not know. I recall a post here saying a 5k serial number indicates refurb phone.
    The replacement phone I got, the serial # starts with 6111.
    Is it new or refurb?

2. bbmiLo thread starter macrumors regular

Oh another question, I nuked the phone on the spot, erase all contents and settings, does that really wipe out everything and can not be retrieved by factory? What's the difference between this method and linking to iTune to restore to factory setting?

3. bbmiLo thread starter macrumors regular