Replacement soon? How to?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnonMac50, Dec 11, 2010.

1. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Hi. My MacBook Pro has had several replacement parts, including ones by me. The ones by Apple include:
    • Replacement install disc 1 (had to pay for)
    • Replacement MagSafe (had to pay for it)
    • Replacement Logic Board (NVIDIA problem)
    • Replacement Logic Board (90 warranty after the previous replacement because of NVIDIA)
    • Replacement fan (had to pay for)

The ones I did myself include:
    • New Topcase
    • New Bottomcase
    • New I/O board
    • New screen
    • New Keyboard

The second list is not complete. My computer is still in repair (for the second mlb repair, and fan repair), and it is past the 5-7 days I was told my repair should take. I need the computer for lots of things, and I can't wait a long time for it.

How close am I to a new replacement MBP? Any ideas how I can do that?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no set policy by apple, I suggest you talk to apple care and ask to elevate the status and talk a supervisor

3. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

They don't include replacements you have don by your self.(Anyone could say they replaced this or that..) You may not be able to get anything from them. Best bet would be to ask.
    Install disk? lol that doesn't count.
    Mag safe doesn't count either really.. because that "tends" to be more user error (bending it or yanking on the cord instead of the plastic adapter part)
    I am not so sure they will give you a replacement for these reasons.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since you don't have AppleCare, I don't think Apple will give you a replacement, if you did you probably would have already had a replacement. So you get a replacement when you choose to buy a new one.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Maybe everyone else here understands the question but I don't. (Which isn't unusual for me. :))

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This.

Basically, Apple has a history of giving replacement machines to individuals who have had their hardware in the shop multiple times. There is no set threshold that the community knows of, but we've theorized that it's either 3 repairs on the same problem, or 3+ high level repairs (i.e. a screen replacement, logic board replacement, and a hard drive replacement), all on seperate incidents.

I am one such customer :D

However OP, one guy HAS had success wrt his machine getting replaced out of warranty. He brough it to the genii to have it fixed (and was going to pay) however they ended up giving him a brand new machine (we think its because they dropped it in the back :O). I wouldn't count on it though.

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Ah... ok. I'm back with the tour now. :)

8. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, okay, I guess I won't count on it.

Thanks anyway.