Replacement Superdrive for 2010 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apples555, May 15, 2017.

1. Apples555 macrumors regular

The superdrive in my 13" 2010 MBP doesn't burn DVDs anymore, which is expected because it's old.

Is there a modern drive that will fit? The current drive is an LG GS23N, and LG makes a slot-loading GS40N that looks like it will fit. Has anyone tried something like this?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Unless you're confident of doing the repair yourself, it might be easier to just pick up an -external- USB DVD/CD drive. It's one more piece of hardware around, but it's a simple cheap solution that works.

They don't cost very much at all.
    I like Samsung drives, myself.

Another reason for getting an external:
    Eventually, you're going to get a new MacBook (or iMac, perhaps).
    Since none of these come with DVD/CD drives any more, you can just "move the external drive over" to the next Mac...

3. Apples555 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not too worried about swapping it out. I've taken the old superdrive in and out plenty of times to clean it. I would just like to know if someone else has tried putting in a modern drive, because the dimensions might be off by enough to be a problem. For example, that plastic bezel on the front may be a problem and may have to be removed.

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

Any on eBay? I had one at one time, but I think I threw it away in my last electronic junk cleanup.

5. Apples555 thread starter macrumors regular

There are plenty of original GS23Ns on eBay, but they are already at least seven years old and will likely have impaired burning ability, at least of DLs.

I already have an external, but I dislike having to take it with the notebook.

I guess no one has tried to fit a modern internal optical drive into one of these old MacBooks. At $40, it's probably worth a try. The biggest problem will likely be the plastic bezel.

6. Apples555 thread starter macrumors regular

I put in a HL-DT-ST GS41N. Dropped right in and works fine.

7. Apples555 thread starter macrumors regular

Update: the GS41N was DOA and wouldn't read CDs. Since the HL-DT-ST optical drives seem to be of very poor quality (I've had three fail and one was only two months old), I decided to get a used Matsushita UJ-8A8 from PowerbookMedic. $5. Works great (so far).