Replacement to my Power Mac G5 2.5 x2

edward-k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
I have been considering upgrading my Powermac G5 2.5x2. The G5 would be passed over to my wife who is in desperate need of an upgrade as well (she has an Imac G4 800mhz).
Was at the apple store yesterday looking at the new I-Mac. The rep said it would be somewhere in the neiborhood of 6-8 times faster than my current G5. What struck me, was that he said the current Mac-Mini would also be a huge performance improvement over my current system as well.

My needs are simple - Internet, Iphoto, Imovie, etc. But I like things fast and snappy, and don't want to have to upgrade soon.

Will the Mac-Mini really show up my G5?
Anyone have benchmarks comparing any of these systems.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Ed

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I haven't seen a specs comparison between these units, but especially when it comes to listening to what a sales person tells you, Public Enemy said it best:

"Don't believe the hype!"

Edit:
Looking at the xbench db, it looks like the current mac mini could AT BEST equal the performance of your dual G5 2.5 ghz tower.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The Mac mini will show up your Power Mac G5 in terms of raw processing power. The GPU and hard drive leave much to be desired.

I have no idea where the Apple rep got their numbers. 2-4 times faster would be more accurate and even so that would depend on the application.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
ehh the mac mini would be an improvement on the older mac but worse than your G5.

My dual 1.8G5 and and 2.0 CD MBP are real close to each other, G5 wins though cause of its graphics card (7800gs) and bigger/raided hard drives.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I have been considering upgrading my Powermac G5 2.5x2. The G5 would be passed over to my wife who is in desperate need of an upgrade as well (she has an Imac G4 800mhz).
Was at the apple store yesterday looking at the new I-Mac. The rep said it would be somewhere in the neiborhood of 6-8 times faster than my current G5. What struck me, was that he said the current Mac-Mini would also be a huge performance improvement over my current system as well.

My needs are simple - Internet, Iphoto, Imovie, etc. But I like things fast and snappy, and don't want to have to upgrade soon.

Ed
The answer is no.
http://barefeats.com/imcd.html
Comparison with intel iMac vs 2.0GHz G5.
In some things the Mac Mini wil be a bit faster, but the G5 will be faster in some cases, also the G5 has much faster Harddrive than the mini and the mini doesnt have a real graphic card and the G5 has one.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
The G5 is better computer than any of the consumer products. Maybe the new Imac would be like 10% faster. But the G5 can have 2 Drives and much more cheap ram.
So max your G5, keep it, is a nice machine, and get your wife a new Imac (the basic one).
My MBP is not faster than my 2.3DP G5. (System bus shows the difference)

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
I have been considering upgrading my My needs are simple - Internet, Iphoto, Imovie, etc. But I like things fast and snappy, and don't want to have to upgrade soon.

Ed
The mac mini is not going to be faster in any way.
your needs are very simple, whats up with that G5?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
My question is, what did you need a PowerMac Quad for then, if you are consider an iMac now?

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Wait for the new Mac Pro when it comes out.

Then you'll see a Huge Difference between your Dual 2.5GHZ and 8 Intel Cores.

Tracer