Replacement to my Power Mac G5 2.5 x2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by edward-k, Sep 2, 2007.

1. edward-k macrumors member

I have been considering upgrading my Powermac G5 2.5x2. The G5 would be passed over to my wife who is in desperate need of an upgrade as well (she has an iMac G4 800mhz).
    Was at the apple store yesterday looking at the new I-Mac. The rep said it would be somewhere in the neiborhood of 6-8 times faster than my current G5. What struck me, was that he said the current Mac-Mini would also be a huge performance improvement over my current system as well.

My needs are simple - Internet, Iphoto, Imovie, etc. But I like things fast and snappy, and don't want to have to upgrade soon.

Will the Mac-Mini really show up my G5?
    Anyone have benchmarks comparing any of these systems.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Ed

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I haven't seen a specs comparison between these units, but especially when it comes to listening to what a sales person tells you, Public Enemy said it best:

"Don't believe the hype!"

Edit:
    Looking at the xbench db, it looks like the current mac mini could AT BEST equal the performance of your dual G5 2.5 ghz tower.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Mac mini will show up your Power Mac G5 in terms of raw processing power. The GPU and hard drive leave much to be desired.

I have no idea where the Apple rep got their numbers. 2-4 times faster would be more accurate and even so that would depend on the application.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

ehh the mac mini would be an improvement on the older mac but worse than your G5.

My dual 1.8G5 and and 2.0 CD MBP are real close to each other, G5 wins though cause of its graphics card (7800gs) and bigger/raided hard drives.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The answer is no.
    http://barefeats.com/imcd.html
    Comparison with intel iMac vs 2.0GHz G5.
    In some things the Mac Mini wil be a bit faster, but the G5 will be faster in some cases, also the G5 has much faster Harddrive than the mini and the mini doesnt have a real graphic card and the G5 has one.

6. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

The G5 is better computer than any of the consumer products. Maybe the new Imac would be like 10% faster. But the G5 can have 2 Drives and much more cheap ram.
    So max your G5, keep it, is a nice machine, and get your wife a new Imac (the basic one).
    My MBP is not faster than my 2.3DP G5. (System bus shows the difference)

7. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

The mac mini is not going to be faster in any way.
    your needs are very simple, whats up with that G5?

8. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

My question is, what did you need a PowerMac Quad for then, if you are consider an iMac now?

9. Tracer macrumors 6502

Wait for the new Mac Pro when it comes out.

Then you'll see a Huge Difference between your Dual 2.5GHZ and 8 Intel Cores.

Tracer

10. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian