Replacement unit through AppleCare - what are my chances?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by migsev, Dec 30, 2009.

1. migsev macrumors regular

I've got a late 2008 2.4ghz 15" MBP thats about a year old and has AppleCare. I've come into a bunch of problems recently which seem to keep piling up. Basically from October to December, I've had a faulty keyboard (topcase replacement sorted it out), a sleep problem (laptop doesn't sleep at all when lid is closed), busted bluetooth, and blown up speakers. It was working fine until October.

I popped by my local service center today and they confirmed and logged all of the problems. I requested for a replacement unit while I stick with all of the problems because I can't really be without my computer for more than a day. The manager at the store is gonna get in touch with Apple for me and see what they say. I specifically requested for a replacement and not a repair. I don't look forward to another week or two without my computer as I really need it for school. Repairs take that long because I'm based in the Philippines, and we have to consult with Apple Singapore for anything repair/replacement related.

For those who've had their units replaced through warranty, how would you rate my chances?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Don't expect it to happen. Apple doesn't have lemon policy but have replaced computers if the SAME problem occurs 3 or more times. Even then sometimes they don't replace computers instead perform another repair.

Hey it's almost the new year, maybe they'll decide to give you one but don't hold your breath.

Good luck.

3. auero macrumors 65816

I've gotten mine replaced but not that easily. My rep that I dealt with said he does 3 strikes. If your machine has to be repaired 3 times, they will replace it. And they did to the newest model for me. Having numerous issues won't get you a new one, they'll just fix it first.

4. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

The clarification should be 3 replacements of the same part before they'll replace an entire unit.

Typically it has to be a major component too (logic board, lcd, hard drive)

5. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know if I get mine sorted out. The thing that sucks is that if I can't get a replacement, I'll have to live with all of the issues until April at the earliest.

I'm not expecting it to happen, but I think I've got a valid reason. 4-5 consecutive problems in the space of 1-2 months just seems like a lemon to me. I've been asking around and it seems it depends on the representative you get to speak with. Someone in my country got his already-repaired-and-working unit replaced with a new one, but 3 months after he requested for it. I'm hoping I get a kind rep on my case. If the manager at my local service center can't sort it out, I'll give Apple a call myself.

Anyone else had an experience with getting a unit replaced?

6. jpma macrumors 6502

well i've got a pretty long story but in the end it work,
    got mine since unibody release dec last year, problem never stop.
    changed parts more than 4 times
    and able to get by a replacement by june right before the latest model release,
    but I'm able to get the early 09 model that support 8g.
    after 3 months of used, the replacement started to have a lot of problem too.
    after 4-5 replaced of parts and just a week ago applecare gave me a replacement(I give alittle push for this)
    after many months, many call, many changes of parts.

now apple is giving me the latest model of the macbook pro.
    Hopefully, it will serve me well too.
    latest doesn't really mean the best anymore for apple.

hope you'll get your replacement.

7. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

there's no hard and fast rule for the replacement. usually it's 3 major repairs - NOT NECESSARILY ON THE SAME PART - but if you have 5 repairs, 2 of which were major with multiple components replaced, you can get a replacement. How do I know this? Applecare just decided to replace my MBP Classic yesterday. What I wrote above came straight out of the representative's mouth!

8. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Everyone loves the idea of getting a replacement (free upgrade). But just realize that you should only expect to get the issues repaired. Being without your laptop while they repair it will not be something that is factored in to the decision...all repairs require you to be without your Mac.

If being without your laptop is not an option, you should really have some sort of back up (perhaps even a cheap netbook you could get by on on a pinch)

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

10. reh macrumors 6502a

My iBook G3 was replaced with a new iBook G4 towards the end of my Applecare coverage. I had three different issues over the course of about a year. However, each issue took two trips to the repair facility to correct. I'd send it in to fix a logic board, and it'd come back with other stuff screwed up (misaligned parts, dirty, other stuff broken). I finally had enough and requested a new machine. They obliged.

The real kicker is that the shipping company that Apple used at the time (can't remember the name, but I believe DHL bought them out) ships slower than molasses to Alaska. So I was without my laptop for 2 to 3 weeks on every repair.

At least Apple made it right in the end.

11. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not really looking for a free upgrade. If they can give me a refurb of a late 2008 2.4ghz MBP, I'd be perfectly fine with that as long as it works well. I'm just not comfortable with the amount of issues popping up in such a short span of time.

And honestly, I don't think spending around $500 on a netbook that I'd use for 2-3 weeks would be wise. I don't even have $500 for starters. :(

I think I might be in a similar position to you, although not as "bad". I had my topcase replaced due to a faulty keyboard. It came back to me completely misaligned so I took it back after 2 weeks. Then a sleep/shut down problem came up - whenever I would close the lid to sleep it, it'd constantly sleep then wake then sleep then wake again. If I shut the computer down, closing the lid would make the computer turn back on again. An SMC+PRAM reset got rid of that problem by replacing it with another problem - it would shut down properly now but not sleep at all when the lid was closed. Then the right speaker blew up, and my bluetooth disappeared after a fresh install of SL. Booting up started to take longer than usual too.

All of this in a space of 1-2 months between October and December.

12. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Apple has specific guidelines for situations in which a replacement is appropriate. Based on your description, your system does not yet qualify for replacement. It wouldn't hurt to call 1-800-APL-CARE yourself and let them know that you'd like a replacement—worst case scenario: they'll say no and you can go along with your day.

I'm curious to know whether the sleep light on the front of your computer works. Normally the sleep LED on the front of the computer will pulse a bright white light when the computer is asleep. Put the computer to sleep manually (from the Apple menu) and see if there's a light on the front. If not, I'll bet there's a loose cable: the sleep light, infrared receiver, and the sleep switch that detects when the lid is closed are connected to the logic board with a very thin, very difficult-to-connect cable. If none of these components are working, you can swing by your repair shop and ask them to properly seat the cable for the sleep switch. It's probably inserted, but not making a connection.

Also, would you please elaborate on your symptoms with Bluetooth and your speakers?

I think you'll have better luck requesting that the repair company does a "same-day" repair, rather than getting a replacement from Apple. Your current symptoms may have been caused directly by a faulty repair.

FYI: Apple pays Apple-Authorized Service Providers based on the speed with which they perform a repair. While they are able to order parts while you keep your computer, most hate to do so because Apple will not reimburse them as much for labor if they don't do the repair the same day that parts come in. If you believe that symptoms were caused by a faulty repair, I might sit down with a manager/technician at the repair shop and request that they make an exception and let you keep your computer while they wait for parts.

Apologies for the long rambling post!

13. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

The sleep light used to work. It disappeared after the clean install of SL, which was only a few days ago. No hardware related changes at all. Any idea on that?

I've already brought the unit in and the service center told me the bluetooth module was broken. There's no bluetooth pane in the system preferences, even after a SMC/PRAM reset and a clean install of SL. Right speaker is blown and sounds like...well, a blown speaker. It crackles and is generally harsh to listen to. Its most evident with the Apple startup sound.

I already asked about a same day repair when I had the topcase replaced for a faulty keyboard. They told me its part of SOP to leave the computer with them while a repair ticket is open. :(

If its a case of faulty repair, I'll be ticked with the service center. This'll be 2 strikes out of 2 for them if thats the case.

14. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

My situation is sort of similar.

I have a summer 2007 MBP and I havnt gone more than 7 months without having to go in for repairs. Now i've got another display issue that's going to result in them having to replace the display unit. Ive had internal cables, the superdrive, the logic board, and a speaker replaced as well as other smaller components that occurred at the same time.

I've got an appointment on Saturday and i'm going to try to get a replacement. I have no confidence in this unit can go for a long period of time without needing a significant repair. If the manager at the store doesnt agree i will call customer relations on monday. I'm sick of my 2000 dollar computer needing to be fixed more than my friends 800 dollar dells.

15. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Giving this a bump. Long story short, I was denied a replacement and was told by the customer service rep to have it repaired. I was planning on doing so later on this week.

However, now it seems my LCD is acting up. I've got numerous dead/stuck pixels scattered across the screen and a tiny cluster at the bottom.

I seriously think its a defective unit. Any advice on how to proceed?