Replacement unlocked iPhone, different software - can I sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shamilt1, Mar 28, 2009.

1. shamilt1 macrumors newbie

My iPhone got stolen. It was unlocked and jailbroken and was running software version 2. I have bought a replacement on the web - also unlocked and jailbroken, it is running 2.2.1. My question is, when it arrives can I just do a sync with itunes and get all my info back on, or will it brick it?

2. shamilt1 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

You can sync it. I don't see why it would brick it, assuming its on the same firmware and all.

4. shamilt1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats my worry - its on 2.2.1 whereas my old one was on 2. Does that not matter? Also I gather iTunes will recognise this as a new phone, will I be able to just do a sync and get all my old contacts email etc onto the new iphone?

5. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Well its probably going to want to setup as a new phone.. so you will loose "everything" but you can just sync it all back over.. Make sure your contacts and mail accounts, calenders, ect are all synced with your mac.

6. shamilt1 thread starter macrumors newbie

So the new one having later firmware won't matter then? Just want to be sure before I go ahead.....

7. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Well alot of us updated to 3.0, being on previous firmware.. We all setup as new phones, and synced everything over. You will loose all your app data though, I can tell you that for a fact.

8. shamilt1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I will sync with confidence now!:)