replacement upgrade (anybody get education discount for upgrading replacement mac)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ttopp, Dec 18, 2009.

1. ttopp macrumors regular

hi

has any one been given the option to get there old mac replaced due to a reoccurring fault and used their education discount to upgrade the replacement?

2. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Had my 2007 24" Alu iMac replaced, and upgraded to i7 - they were going to give C2D 27"... No way that Apple rep would allow edu pricing on upgrade.

3. ttopp thread starter macrumors regular

Same here it was my black macbook, they were going to give a white one to start with but I said no I paid extra 4 the black. They gave an entry 13" macbook (just renamed it to pro) so I upgraded to the 15" top spec MBP. No discount and I have to pay over £200 for the AppleCare :(.

I wanted a 15" and was going to get one anyway but I would have still had the Black one I could have sold plus with the edu discount I could have got.......

Wait a min, what a divvy I should have just got the 13" and sold it then used that cash with the discount to buy the 15" id have saved more :( and have AppleCare for £50

4. prairiefire macrumors member

I was allowed to use my educational discount on components ...

Let me start by saying that I have a great local Apple store that values customer loyalty and serves me well.

I took my G5 in for service and it literally blew up in the store. Turns out it had a leaky radiator, the fluid got on the mother board and Boom.

They owed me nothing. I was well out of warranty. I told them that.

But, they insisted, and I mean insisted that they replace the machine so I now have a 2.66 Quad.

I wanted to upgrade the hard drive to 1TB which is what I had in my original, wanted to upgrade the video card, and a few other things.

I got my educational discount on all of the upgrades.

I like to think that they treated me well because I have treated them well the many times I have been in.

So, in answer to your question, I think there may be some discretion they can exercise when they find a case "compelling".

In my many years of being a Mac person, my experience is that Apple goes more than the extra mile to do the right thing. That's why I'm so loyal.

sjh