Replacement warranty question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

if you buy a locked tmobile phone and was able to unlock it thru tmobile, can you get a replacement Unlocked tmobile phone from the apple store if its still under warranty? what im trying to say is, lets say you bought a phone that was originally locked and under warranty, will apple replace it with an unlocked version since you've already unlocked the original?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

While I've not done it myself, I've seen many people post here that the unlock status follows to a replacement phone. If you warranty exchange a locked phone you get a locked phone, if you warranty exchange an unlocked phone you get an unlocked phone.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    The replacement gets the same exact carrier lock or unlock properties as the phone you're handing in.

4. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

You get what you had, but something different happened to me. My friend gave me his old 5 when he got a 6 and we tried for a week to get it unlocked. The carrier gave him the WORST runaround and nonsense.

I use Straight Talk and needed it to be unlocked but I noticed the glass was lifting so I took it to Apple store and they opened it to find the battery was swelling

They replaced it free out of warranty with a refurb (practically new). I asked if the new one was unlocked. The lady looked the item up and the system said no BUT that as soon as I activated a different carrier, it would be unlocked. Not sure how that worked but it did.

I'm not sure if they all come like that or what but I put the new sim from ST in, activated according to instructions and got a buttload of errors on the ST site. Next morning it had filtered through the system and is now an unlocked phone.