Replacement watch is Week 14 / Original was week 16

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BiggiePhat, May 4, 2015.

1. BiggiePhat macrumors regular

I had a express exchange on my Week 16 space gray because of a gap on the top part between the glass and the frame. I just got the replacement has shipped email and it states the replacement is Week 14.

Should I be concerned that the replacement watch is two weeks earlier?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Why would that cause any issues?

3. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Why would that be a concern? It is the same model, so they will be the same every week.

4. trek360 macrumors 6502

I don't see any issues. It is too early to be getting refurbs already I would think. They may have set aside some early ones for replacements.

5. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I wouldn't say it's too early for refurbs. Have you seen the amount of people sending watches back for replacement? (be it actual defect or their own doing damaging it) And that's just a small portion of people that post on this one forum. But I agree. It isn't or shouldn't be any issue of it being an earlier production week. They're all the same if it's week 14 or week 62.

6. BiggiePhat thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the reason I ask is because they are definitely not the same as the build weeks go on.

They see defects as the manufacturing weeks go on and tweak the builds. So if my week 16 had the defect, good chance something built two weeks prior has it too.

7. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Pretty unlikely that you're actually going to see hardware engineering changes that close together - at least in the reduced manufacturing capability we see right now. That is, if they do at all.

It would usually take several weeks of testing to vett a change.

8. BiggiePhat thread starter macrumors regular

Which just proves my point. If my defect was in Week 16, then it has a good chance of being in the week 14 build because it wasn't caught / processes weren't modified in a 2 week span.

9. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

...and likely still exists in week 20.

Warranty pool would have been seeded right away. If there's a defect found that could cause a number of warranty claims, they would retool the line and seed the warranty pool first.

Whatever was wrong with your watch would be a one-of, or there would be thousands of watches with the same issue.

10. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

How do you know which week it was manufactured?

11. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I think Apple is mature and smart enough in the electronics business to know that there woukd be some failures.

I would suggest that they planned for replacement supplies prior to letting the watch loose in the wold. Some waiters will cry now but not as loud as someone who gets a DOA watch and then finds themselves at the back of the bus for a replacement.

It would be the only responsible course of action.

12. riffola macrumors member

Wow, my week 16 Space Gray 42mm has screen separation too. I am going to call in tomorrow to swap it out.

13. applepuree macrumors 6502

applepuree

Then return it, get your money back and buy one next year.

14. Banich2 macrumors regular

Where does it tell you what week your watch is from?

15. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

16. ldpm14 macrumors 6502

ldpm14

I really wouldn't be concerned that your replacement is a week 14. It's still a new watch :)

17. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

If that was the case everybody's would be defective.

18. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

People saying that it is too early for refurbs are not considering that there are likely refurbs within the factories themselves before they are ever shipped off to other countries. There are going to be lots of watches that fail inspection/testing after being assembled, which are then disassembled, and re-made.

19. riffola macrumors member

From the serial number, you can plug it into one of those sites that decodes it.

----------

The screen is barely half mm pulled away from the body, because my watch is Space Gray, it's very hard to take a picture with an iPhone, I've tried. I need a better camera with macro mode which I do not have access to right now.

----------

The screen is barely half mm pulled away from the body, because my watch is Space Gray, it's very hard to take a picture with an iPhone, I've tried. I need a better camera with macro mode which I do not have access to right now.

20. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

OK, I assume that this separation was obvious tho and the gap noticeably bigger than the normal gap between the crystal and case?

21. rhsmd1 macrumors member

what sites can you plug the ser# into to find out manufacture date?
    Breitlings have a code engraved on the watch case between the band lugs.
    :apple:

22. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

23. riffola macrumors member

Yes, very obvious separation.

24. BiggiePhat thread starter macrumors regular

And as I predicted, the replacement one is worse than the original. The gap on the top does not seem to be there but if i run my fingernail over the top of the case over the top of the glass, I get caught on the glass so the glass is not flush with the case.

If i do this same test on my original watch i don't get caught on the glass.

Two watches, two different problems in the same location.