Replacement Watch with 1.0 and backup of 2.0

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pshifrin, Sep 29, 2015.

1. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Just did an express replacement because the rubber gasket under the crown popped off. Called apple at 6pm last night and had it in hand at 9:45am, amazing!

However... the replacement had a completely drained battery and software 1.0. I wonder how long it's been sitting in a box?

Anyway, is the proper procedure to setup as new watch, update to 2.0, un-pair, setup again and hope my 2.0 backups magically appear?

2. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

you really didn't say anything about your old watch but I am guessing you had 2.0 installed. If you don't care about any of the data, I would just setup the watch as new paired to your phone and then go into the Apple Watch app and upgrade but charge to 50% before trying.

If you want the data do a backup/restore in iTunes first. Encrypt if you need the health data and then Setup as new and restore. Might cause problems with a different watch but not positive.

You may have received a new watch that was manufactured in April. Battery dead should be a non issue.

3. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I just went through this.

1. Setup the watch as a NEW watch on your phone.
    2. Update the watchOS to 2.0
    3. Unpair the watch from your phone.
    4. Pair the watch using a previous backup (You will see all your previous backups available, including the one you just created). I used the one from the day I handed the apple store my watch.
    5. Done

If you want go to Settings\General\Storage & iCloud Usage\Manage Storage (under Storage)\Watch then remove all the backups you no longer want.

You can always check your watch backups here...

4. pshifrin thread starter macrumors 6502

pshifrin

That's awesome, thanks for the info. No problem getting the watch to 50% since it's taking over 2 hours to download 2.0 on a 100mb fios connection!

5. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

My replacement watch came dead, no power at all... I wasn't very happy about that need for 50%...