Replacement Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jal217, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

Hi Everyone!

So I was just sent a replacement Apple Watch because my Taptic Engine went. So I have what looks like a brand new watch. The information that came with it just says "new or refurbished." I'm just curious, is there a way to tell which it is?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, but it's most likely remanufactured at this point. The only time when it's safe to say it's brand new rather than remanufactured is right after launch when not enough time has passed to build up a stock of remanufactured units.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not true. Any units that do not meet the set standard will be remanufactured so referbs will be available from the off.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm curious too.

If it's like how Apple handles iPhones/iPads/iPods refurbs, it will probably be hard to tell. Those refurbs come out of the box with the same plastic shrink-wrap around them, and have new exterior shells, so refurbs should look the same as new units. New batteries too, so you can look at the number of cycles and try to figure out of its new or not.

A few years ago, you could tell some refurbs by the serial number, but I think even that's next-to-impossible to do anymore.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Huh? You mean a subset of units that they catch at factory due to quality control which they rebuild before they find their way into retail or white boxes? That's still considered "new."

People think of "refurbished/remanufactured" in the sense that the innards was once a retail unit in its former life and given a brand new case, screen and battery.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2016 ---
    Correct. They stopped doing that around the time they sold the iPhone 4 or so (don't remember the exact time).

6. Newtons Apple, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If it had the battery changed the cycles should be low or zero. Either way Apple is quite able to make the battery say what ever.

I do not think we know for sure what Apple does to a refurb before they sell it. They could be using the SS case parts . . .we do not know.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Nope. There was a video a while back on apples quality control and it was in that they explained units that don't meet the qc are remanufactured for that purpose.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

While they may be true, that's not what people generally think of refurbished/remanufactured units, which they consider as having been in someone else's hand in a former life. I'd assume most members do not discriminate between new and those that didn't meet quality control at factory and remanufactured as a result.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

All refurbished/remanufactured units get a brand new battery so it's not a method to discriminate between new and remanufactured.

We do know what they do to refurbished iDevices that they do sell through the Certified Refurbished store (they do not sell refurbished iPhones or AW):

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

10. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

New ones will have a model number beginning with M.

Refurbs or whatever you wanna call it begin with N.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I would take that with a grain of salt because people have reported getting replacement iPhones that start with M and retail box iPhones that start with N.

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Never seen that before.

The first letter in the model number represents the source of the device. Currently, there are four known possible choices:

• "F": refurbished unit
    • "M": retail unit
    • "N": replacement unit
    • "P": personalized (engraved) unit

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Models

I chatted up apple and they told me this is true. No brand new devices will begin with N. Every brand new Apple device I own says M on the back of the box. And every Apple device I've replaced says N.

13. JayLenochiniMac, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Didn't you receive a replacement iPhone 6 that began with M? It's not exactly set in stone because despite what MR's Refurbished Apple Product buying guide says (which links to your own thread as a source), people have reported getting M as replacement iPhones and N as retail iPhones.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

2 rules to keep in mind:

1) If you can not perceive any difference then there is NO difference to you

2) Apple refurbs are more closely inspected and tested than the original manufactured device and is still fully covered by Apple's warranty and :apple:Care (also see rule number 1)

15. Jal217 thread starter macrumors regular

Jal217

My brand new Apple Watch from a day 1 pre order started with F so this doesn't always hold true.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2016 ---
    That's why I said just curious and not "I need to know"
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2016 ---
    Yea it's actually really impressive how perfect it came. I almost think it came in nicer packaging than the original watch. In addition the Digital Crown is way more firm than my old one, the speaker seems better quality, and the problem I sent it in for is no more so I'm pleased!

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Your brand new watch model number did not begin with F. The serial number did. Like every other single Apple Watch ever made.