replacement worthy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theturtle, Aug 3, 2009.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

accidentally posted in the regular macbook thread. was supposed to go here. haha

hey guys, a friend referred me to this site saying this forum was pretty helpful. I was wondering if i could get your opinion on something, im usually extremely uptight about the condition of myself. I bought a macbook pro 13 inch yesterday and its fine. When i got home and used it with my desk light, i saw that one, just one, speck of dust is behind my screen. Another problem i saw (or in this case felt) was the left side of my glass track pad sinks in lower than the right. its about 1mm lower than the surrounding bezel (kind of like how some the iphone 3g's had the sharp bezel). You can see it (the left side has darker lines because its a bit depressed) and feel it. what do you guys think? will apple allow a replace or will they just say suck it up? Im anal about my stuff so i cant tell if im overdoing it or no. thanks guys

pics will come later.

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

If you got it yesterday and there's dust under the screen, that's enough reason to go get a replacement.

3. pnyc macrumors 6502

If the issues you've described bother you than you should definitely get your MBP exchanged. When buying a new computer I don't see why anyone should feel that they need to settle for a less than a defect free computer.

4. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks guys, i just thought they would turn me away and say that one piece of dust and a slanted trackpad isnt a good enough reason to get it changed. I'll probably go tomorrow or wednesday. is it the same as getting a iphone fixed? make a genius appointment and just bring in the laptop or do i have to bring everything in?? no receipt is required right? thanks guys, hope they change it out for me :eek:

5. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Just bring everything with you, including the receipt. By the way, don't let them try to fix it. Since you're within the 14 day window and the dust is clearly visible, they should give you a replacement unit, no questions asked.

6. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

ehhhhh, what if i dont have the receipt? the laptop was bought as a gift. dont want to come off rude and say "somethings wrong with it, can i get the receipt?". Not having a receipt shouldnt pose TOO big of a problem right?
    btw thanks for the answers! :p

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Nah, it would be fine. I got mine replaced without a receipt, but bring the box and everything just in case.

8. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

gotcha. thanks for the help man! now its in apple hands.

9. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

guys, gotta know what you think about this.

well got my replacement today, trackpad is flush and no dust in the screen. But a bigger problem arose.

in certain angles, you can see these streaks on the right side of my screen. I probably have 6 streaks all together, each one being at least 6 inches long. Its some what difficult to see, but you could see it if you try hard enough. Do you guys think apple will replace the laptop they just replaced for me today? its not visible when the screen is on but when its off, if you tilt the laptop, you can see it. what do you guys think? :(

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like you're being a little to anal about the computer.

If you cannot see it unless its off and unless its at a certain angle, translates that you'll probably never see it again. Enjoy the computer and don't sweat the small stuff (and a speck of dust is small stuff).