Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by O.G.Q, Jan 3, 2011.

1. O.G.Q macrumors newbie

i was just wondering if i bought a MBP an they were refreshed early next year anf for some reason my MBP developed a problem and had to be replaced would i get the new generation MBP of the same value?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If Apple determined that it could not be repaired then yes they would replace it with a comparable new model, but those cases do not occur very often.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's possible, but it's more likely that they would replace it with the same gen as what you have if it's only the previous gen. They typically have old stock still around after the new ones come out

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

Just to let you know, Apple just did $1200 of repairs to my MBP. It is an early 2008, and I bought it new in October of 2008.

2 months after I purchased it, they replaced the logicboard.

So i would say that you have to have multiple repairs to something vital and expensive before they give you that option. Yours is still new and highly doubt they would give you a new one.

*EDIT**

just re-read your post.. They would probably just give you one of the same gen, as they would still have plenty in stock.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't know specifically how Apple stocks their parts. Common sense tells me that they will keep parts for machines in warranty, meaning atleast three years from the last available purchase date of the machine , before it was replaced. Again, just guessing.

However from experience Apple replaced my machine after 6 repairs, 3 which would be deemed 'major'. I've seen many accounts on this board, some say after three repairs of the same issue, others say after three high level repairs AND incidents (say a hard drive, display and logic board replacement, again on separate trips) and then on the fourth repair you can begin to petition for a replacement. Me, I stick to the '3 major repairs of any type' deal but i'd guess that it also depends on how cool you are with the genii/manager in charge and how well you make make a case for being out of commission for x amount of days. I've never seen/heard apple throwing in the towel after two or less repairs.

My advice is to buy the machine and use it well. Buy Applecare. Hopefully you'll have no trouble BUT make sure to bring it in whenever you have issues So you can rack up the incidences. Eventually, you'll have a case (if your machine is truly a lemon).

6. paintballswimgu, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

This is from personal experience last april with a 2007 macbook pro.

Apples policy is to always replace with the latest generation. I received my new i5 replacement for a 2007 macbook pro, and i called 3 days after the newest models were released.

To receive a replacement. You need to have 3 major hardware failures. (harddrive, superdrive, logic board). You must then request a replacement. On the Fourth major hardware failure apple will replace the computer if you have requested them to do so. You should have a case id number written down from when you requested a replacement computer.

Apple will match your old computer with the new computer speck for speck. HOWEVER, you need to know what you should be getting when you call, because often the customer service rep may not know the correct procedure.

Example:
    2007 macbook pro 15 in
    2.2 ghz, with matte screen.
    (glossy was a $50 upgrade with this model, but i didn't have it)
    dual link dvi
    expresscard

The new 15 in i5, doesn't have any of these features. Apple is required to match the specs/features of the past computer if possible. therefore
    I was offered an upgrade to a 17 inch macbook pro for free, because the 2010 15 inch doesn't have one. (I had to ask for this, and was offered the option)
    I requested the hires matte screen upgrade because my original computer was matte. this was given for free by apple
    I also got a free dual link dvi adapter from apple since the new macbook pros don't have it and the old ones did. (had to ask for this as well)

Apple will also send you a check for the remaining balance of your applecare, They will also let you buy additional upgrades if you pay the upgrade cost yourself

Hope that helps

7. diehldun macrumors 6502a

When I took my 2007 SR MBP a few days ago because of (another) graphics card failure, I tried to argue for a replacement unit. I've gone through: 3 displays, 3 top cases, 1 hard drive failure, 1 graphics card, and all side ports replaced. The Genius said none of these constituted "major failures".

I understand, though, that with 3 graphics card failures Apple will consider a replacement unit? My last one lasted only 10 months, and I was assured it wouldn't happen again...

Also, will having run out of Apple Care have any influence on whether or not a replacement unit is offered?

8. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Wow, that is amazing. This will be the only extended warrenty I ever buy.

That sucks! with everything I read I cant believe they didnt replace the unit. I bet if you were to call applecare they would be able to help you out. I would want to get that replaced before the term expires.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

With all those problems, I would not be a happy customer. I'd would try to call AppleCare and see if a replacement would be possible.

10. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Even though AppleCare expired since October for me? I might as well give it a shot.

11. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

You won't get a new one, they will will fix the computer multiple times before they actually give you a new one, and if they did replace it, they would definitely give you left over stock of the previous generation. It's simple, if you need it now then get it now, but don't go in to it thinking they will just upgrade it for you later on just because the new ones just came out.