Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by getheo, Sep 6, 2011.

1. getheo macrumors member

getheo

I have mbp 2011 and applecare for 3 years.If i ask for a replacement in 2013, will they give me the mpb 2011 refurbished or the 2013 model?Thanks

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No. Not unless there is a factory defect that cannot be repaired.

3. Trentolol macrumors member

Trentolol

It really depends. I have heard of both happening often with broken MacBooks. Poll, perhaps?

4. getheo thread starter macrumors member

getheo

Thank you for the answers.Moreover i want to know when they give you a replacement and when they repair your laptop?I live in Greece

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

They won't replace it if they can fix it. It will be fixed; replacements are like.... slim to nil. And if they were to replace it, they would give you one that is the exact same as the one you sent in. You wouldn't get a new 2013 MBP by sending in a broken 2011 that's unfixable.

6. Eddyisgreat, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have been on these boards for several years and have never heard a single case of someone getting anything other than the latest gen macbook pro as a replacement for their current machine, ever. It has always been the latest model regardless of the year of the current model. There have been some times where apple has given individuals models with less vram which I and many others consider a downgrade, but otherwise they have always been at least as high end as the current unit (meaning a maxed out 15" from 2008 yields you a maxed out 15" i7 from 2011). This is just what i've seen. Results will vary.

I have also been offered a replacement machine which was two revisions past my unit.

//edit vv //
    Replacements are not nil (i've seen about two or three per month average on this sub forum alone), you just need to make sure that your request is warranted. Don't bother asking for a replacement if your machine has had less than 3 'kept it overnight' repairs of the level 2 variety (meaning screen, logic board, battery replacement etc). At that point you can begin to assert your dissatisfaction (and who wouldn't be after 3-5 L2 repairs). At 6 or more repairs Apple will probably offer you a replacement, but if not, they'll probably consider your request more thoughtfully.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That sounds right to me. :apple: doesn't keep a cache of older Mac's for use in warranty replacement cases. They don't have the room to store a bunch of every kind of model for years past. Once the new ones come out, they want to purge their stores of the old models to make way for the new ones, just like car dealerships.

8. RayK macrumors 6502

Right. Apple will attempt to repair your Mac. In the USA the rule is 3 times and then a replacement. They try to give you a comperable machine to what is currently being sold. They always replace with a new machine never refurbished.