Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I just went to the Genius Bar and got a replacement phone and they have started something new, inspected by apple care is what it said on the label and the phone is flawless a black with no scuffs or anything.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I just went to the Genius Bar and got a replacement phone and they have started something new, inspected by apple care is what it said on the label and the phone is flawless a black with no scuffs or anything.

VERY good news.

danzzz

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
LA
i got the a replacement unit from AppleCare today which has this "inspected by AppleCare" label too. however, it's even worse than my original one and i totally think it is some sort of refurbished product.

fyi, it's not coming in the original box but a white "replacement box".

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I got my replacement yesterday morning. (earpiece went bad on the first one)

It was flawless (cosmetically) just like the first. It actually fixed the WIFI issue I was having also, which was a nice bonus!

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
My white box replacement that was shipped to me also had the "Inspected By Applecare" sticker. But the iPhone inside had more scratches/dings than my original.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I don't think this is anything new. All of the replacements I have heard about have that sticker and are still a hit or miss on damage right out of the box.

jerrahh

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010

that means nothing, i got a replacement 2 days ago i asked her about these phones having scuffs, she said no way in hell would they. then she opened up 5 boxes that said inspected by apple care and they were all messed up. she was so embarrassed cause she told me they wouldn't have scuffs it was funny.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
same here. got mine replaced yesterday for a dead pixel. had the sticker on it too. White box.

flawless. just like my original.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I thought Apple doesn't refurb iPhones anymore because it's not cost effective for them?

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
As far as returns are concerned the only parts that are actually refurbished are the logic board and such. The exteriors are all new.

And sorry guys I thought this was new. Even the genius at the apple store was inspecting the phone and said wow, this is beautiful.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
As far as returns are concerned the only parts that are actually refurbished are the logic board and such. The exteriors are all new.

And sorry guys I thought this was new. Even the genius at the apple store was inspecting the phone and said wow, this is beautiful.

what's the model number?

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
I just received my 2nd replacement, a white box with "inspected by applecare" and it's worse than my last one. dings on the back where the glass meets the aluminum backing... this has been a disaster. might just keep my second replacement.

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
i received a replacement in store today. week 38.

mint on the outside and feels more solid than my original.

my original was week 33.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
i got the a replacement unit from AppleCare today which has this "inspected by AppleCare" label too. however, it's even worse than my original one and i totally think it is some sort of refurbished product.

It's not. All exterior parts on replacement phones are BRAND NEW as well as the battery. The only possibly re-manufactured/"refurbished" parts would be internal aside from the battery. So what you got has BRAND NEW external parts.

----------

I just received my 2nd replacement, a white box with "inspected by applecare" and it's worse than my last one. dings on the back where the glass meets the aluminum backing... this has been a disaster.

Oh do tell me more about how cosmetic issues that don't affect the functionality of the phone is such a "disaster". :rolleyes:

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
It's not. All exterior parts on replacement phones are BRAND NEW as well as the battery. The only possibly re-manufactured/"refurbished" parts would be internal aside from the battery. So what you got has BRAND NEW external parts.

----------

Oh do tell me more about how cosmetic issues that don't affect the functionality of the phone is such a "disaster". :rolleyes:

whole experience is a disaster.. not the cosmetic issues. go roll your eyes somewhere else

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
whole experience is a disaster.. not the cosmetic issues. go roll your eyes somewhere else

I can roll my eyes here just fine thanks. :rolleyes:

And you keep using that word "disaster", not sure you're clear on what the magnitude of a disaster really is.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011

Like to see a picture of this box/label if you don't mind :rolleyes::apple:

lamenramen

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Guys, a replacement is a refurb. Or a return to the store. It is in no way brand new. period.

It is hit or miss, and I would say the likelihood of getting a "non-perfect" iphone is HIGHER than just returning and rebuying.

Apple is going to give you a white box iphone, inspected by apple care means nothing. They are not any more well-trained than you or I.

It is possible that your replacement iphone will truly be the customer who bought it just to check it out and then returns it, but most people who buy the iphone, love it. Those who return it, usually buy another iphone.

The replacement will usually have screen problems

--dust
--yellow tint
--digitizer issues
--video tearing

or

physical nicks/mild damage

The only way to avoid this is to return it and re-buy. I personally do not care about litle nicks b/c they are going to happen anyway. The screen is what I care about, and they are not all created equally.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I can roll my eyes here just fine thanks.
And you keep using that word "disaster", not sure you're clear on what the magnitude of a disaster really is.

last time i checked this isnt a thread for semantics :rolleyes:

everyone knows what he meant by his iphone 5 experience being a disaster.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.