Replacing 15" keyboard with a 17" one. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tidon, Oct 25, 2011.

  1. Tidon macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2011
    i´m trying to replace the keyboard on my macbook pro 15" 3,1
    its aluminum pre unibody model

    was wondering if you can fit and work a keyboard from a 17" machine on this one
    i can't find the keyboard with my country layout from a 15" mbp

    thank you
  2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus


    Mar 7, 2007
    I don't see why not, they should be the same size, but I'm not sure.
  3. Tidon thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2011
    thats my question, i think they same size too but i´m not sure :D
  4. dusk007 macrumors 68040


    Dec 5, 2009
    Same size same layout. Why should Apple use different ones? Wouldn't make any sense?
    If you have both just try it. I doubt that it won't work. The only possibility is that some internal connector doesn't work and is on a different position but I that is the case. iFixit should have enough pictures info on the subject.
  5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

    Apr 14, 2010
    I believe the keyboard is part of the top case on the pre-unibody mbp. You will probably have to remove each individual key if you are just looking for the correct keys. However of the keyboard itself has something wrong with it this may not work.

    Im not saying I know 100%, but when I worked as a technician I recall having to replace the whole top case (including trackpad) for a faulty keyboard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  6. Tidon thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2011
    Well i dont have the 17" yet, i want to buy it

    My idea was keep the case and just change entire keyboard

    Thank you
  7. jwhazel macrumors regular

    Sep 22, 2005
    I'm about 95% sure they are slightly different. The problem that comes into play is the backlight connector is positioned differently and I beleive the keyboard ribbon cable is a different length. Thats not to say its an impossible fit, just that its not a drop in replacement.

Share This Page