Replacing 17" screen on MBP...Anyone know anywhere to get a replacement from?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jonno212, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Jonno212 macrumors newbie

Jonno212

Hi guys

My first post on here so be gentle please! and yes i have checked the search function and it didn't come up with much of the same stuff hence why im posting!

Firstly im new to macs... but i love em now! and wont be going back to a pc anytime soon thats for sure! I have 1 grievence though and it is bugging the hell out of me!

Basically my screen is fooked!!! sometimes it works and then it'll take the slightest knock or touch and BAM!!! about 4/5 of the screen from the bottom up is this grey (almost startup colour grey) horizontal covering! I dunno how to explain exactly but its sorta like the horizontal line problems some people seem to be having! but worst and its just blank! nothing but grey and obv i cant see anything below the first inch and a half from the top of the screen and its frustrating me some what!

Only way to fix it i have found is by pushing certain parts of the screen at the side and make it spaz out fully and then i close the lid to make it go sleep and 6 times out of 10 it comes back fully working again! otherwise i can close and open it all day long and it will still be there! I have to make it go full AWOL for it to reset itself somehow! dont ask me why but it seems to work haha

So I figure i must have a faulty screen or a loose connection coz when i do a screen print it doesnt show anything!

so my question is... Has anyone ever had this problem and if so what did they do AND has anyone ever changed their MBP screen (17") and how easy is it? coz im gonna buy a second hand one off ebay if its not a dodgy connection and it looks simple enough! I am pretty handy with delicate electronics i just wanna know if there is anything i need to look out for and what not!

Would appreciate the help! I will try and take a picture tonight and update this thread to show you all what is going on but im at work atm so i cant!

2. DigiTrance macrumors newbie

3. Jonno212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jonno212

Thats brilliant! Thank you DigiTrance. I can see that site is going to come in very handy! haha

note to self! DO NOT start taking all apple equipment apart for the sake of! haha

I will post the pictures up anyway if i can just to show people whats going on! coz neverknow they might be a fellow noob out there not knowing of this issu

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But that's the first thing you're suppose to do after your read the manual!

5. Jonno212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jonno212

i took a picture of it as promised

[​IMG]

weird eh?!?:confused:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Kind of small… Looks like the cable could be damaged or you you broken something major.

7. Jonno212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jonno212

Right basically i've just been outbid on a replacement screen on ebay!

so does anyone know any good sites to get replacement screens from please?

any help appreciated...