Replacing 2011 components with 2012 components

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
So I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and a 2012 MacBook Pro. My 2011 model is specked out whereas my 2012 is a base model. Also my 2012 has some cosmetic damage such as a damaged screen and keyboard. Also, all my data is on 2011 machine.

First, I was wondering if it is possible to literally just swap the storage drives of the two machines and still have all my data just as it should be. Is it a simple switch since they are both within a year of each other? Or will that screw up everything?

Also, how difficult is it to replace one screen with another and switch the keyboards? Will that be very difficult?

And finally, will the RAM from the older model work in the newer model? It’s Crucial RAM so I have a hunch it should be fine.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I assume these are non-retina 13" MacBooks. If this is the case, everything can be swapped between the two. I was able to put a logic board from an early 2011 13" into a mid-2012 13" with everything working perfectly. No modifications were required at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: theapplehead

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
I assume these are non-retina 13" MacBooks. If this is the case, everything can be swapped between the two. I was able to put a logic board from an early 2011 13" into a mid-2012 13" with everything working perfectly. No modifications were required at all.
Bad news. Just found out that it is impossible to swap the screens. I’m so damn pissed about it too. I spent at least three hours on this and for nothing. Ugh. Not blaming you or anyone. Just my stupid self. I learned my lesson. Best leave well enough alone

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The connectors don't line up? Something else? I used a mid-2012 screen with an early 2011 logic board.

My nephew has a mid-2012 13" MBP. I have an early 2011 13" Pro. His 2012 was having trouble booting due to water damage. Wasn't exactly sure what did and did not work in his. I put the 2011 logic board in his and to verify it was his logic board.

Someone else did it too: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/232867/Swapping+displays+between+early+2011+and+mid+2012+mbp+13+inches#answer479100

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/461795/Early+2011+Logic+board+upgrade

Last edited:

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
The connectors don't line up? Something else? I used a mid-2012 screen with an early 2011 logic board.

My nephew has a mid-2012 13" MBP. I have an early 2011 13" Pro. His 2012 was having trouble booting due to water damage. Wasn't exactly sure what did and did not work in his. I put the 2011 logic board in his and to verify it was his logic board.

Someone else did it too: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/232867/Swapping+displays+between+early+2011+and+mid+2012+mbp+13+inches#answer479100

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/461795/Early+2011+Logic+board+upgrade

Well it doesn’t make sense to me. When I tried to connect the 2012 screen to the 2011 logic board, it wouldn’t fit. The connection was the wrong size. So I reconnected everything how it was before, but now my 2011 screen won’t do anything but stay white. So it’s all messed up now.

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well it doesn’t make sense to me. When I tried to connect the 2012 screen to the 2011 logic board, it wouldn’t fit. The connection was the wrong size. So I reconnected everything how it was before, but now my 2011 screen won’t do anything but stay white. So it’s all messed up now.
I'm sorry you had such trouble. I didn't have an issue with any of the connectors.

I was going to leave the 2011 board inside my nephew's 2012 MBP but he wanted USB 3.0 so I had to source a used logic board for him.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
I'm sorry you had such trouble. I didn't have an issue with any of the connectors.

I was going to leave the 2011 board inside my nephew's 2012 MBP but he wanted USB 3.0 so I had to source a used logic board for him.
Yeah. I believe I damaged the lsvd cable on mine so I’m probably going to have to buy a replacement one of those as well as hope I can successfully repair it. Have you ever dissassembled MacBook Pro screen? Does anyone else have experience with that? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Yeah. I believe I damaged the lsvd cable on mine so I’m probably going to have to buy a replacement one of those as well as hope I can successfully repair it. Have you ever dissassembled MacBook Pro screen? Does anyone else have experience with that? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
there is a possible small difference with connector, if doesn't fit you can do some grinding using metal file

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
I did this exactly with a 2011 and 2012 13" MBP. It definitely works. I forget which is larger but one model has a slightly larger display connector, but the "larger" part is actually plastic and can be shaved off with a good knife. I believe the 2011 has a slightly larger connector, so you should be able to trim it down to work with the 2012 logic board.

In my scenario, the 2012 had some external topcase damage but the display was otherwise fine. I kept the display and as much of the 2012 internals as I could, considering 2012 has 1600mhz RAM vs 1333mhz, USB 3 vs 2, better bluetooth and I believe wifi as well.

Reactions: Audit13

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
69ED0AC7-E243-4356-B46A-F79827C19F8D.jpeg
Here you go. Go to 9:10
Okay if it’s alright I’ve got another question for you. I’m trying to remove the piece of plastic beneath a key on my keyboard and I’m wondering the best way to do it without damaging it. I’m replacing one for another. What’s the best way to do this? I can’t seem to find any specific answers online. What’re your thoughts. Here’s a picture

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
View attachment 821844
Okay if it’s alright I’ve got another question for you. I’m trying to remove the piece of plastic beneath a key on my keyboard and I’m wondering the best way to do it without damaging it. I’m replacing one for another. What’s the best way to do this? I can’t seem to find any specific answers online. What’re your thoughts. Here’s a picture
Do you mean you want to replace the keycap? The "spring" mechanism in your picture here looks in really good shape. I would say use a soft brush and canned air to clean the debris, then snap your new keycap back on. Is this what you mean?

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
Do you mean you want to replace the keycap? The "spring" mechanism in your picture here looks in really good shape. I would say use a soft brush and canned air to clean the debris, then snap your new keycap back on. Is this what you mean?
No it’s actually the plastic piece beneath where the key would go. It’s damaged and the key will not stay in place. I’m just wondering if there’s a way to remove that piece and substitute it for a better plastic piece

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
No it’s actually the plastic piece beneath where the key would go. It’s damaged and the key will not stay in place. I’m just wondering if there’s a way to remove that piece and substitute it for a better plastic piece
Weird, it actually looks in good shape. Anyway, it is possible to remove. On the left side where it looks like two metal "hooks" hold down the top and bottom left corners of the plastic piece, just push them out from under the hook by pushing to the left. It should just pop out. Be sure not to accidentally rip the center plastic nub off, if you do then the whole topcase needs replacing.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
Weird, it actually looks in good shape. Anyway, it is possible to remove. On the left side where it looks like two metal "hooks" hold down the top and bottom left corners of the plastic piece, just push them out from under the hook by pushing to the left. It should just pop out. Be sure not to accidentally rip the center plastic nub off, if you do then the whole topcase needs replacing.
Okay. Thank you. Yeah I don’t know why the new key isn’t sticking. Maybe it’s a different design. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
Okay. Thank you. Yeah I don’t know why the new key isn’t sticking. Maybe it’s a different design. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks
Sometimes the keys look very similar but aren't the same. If you do some Googling you can find the different topcase designs, but also if you live near an Apple store they will just pop a key on for free. Another thing you can do if you don't live near a store is have a friend go in for you and mail you the key. I used to work in one, and we would always just throw them on peoples' machines because they aren't even a billable part. If a friend walked into a store and gave your serial number and said something like I bought this from a friend and they're shipping it to me can I have this key that it's missing, anyone reasonable would just give you one.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
Sometimes the keys look very similar but aren't the same. If you do some Googling you can find the different topcase designs, but also if you live near an Apple store they will just pop a key on for free. Another thing you can do if you don't live near a store is have a friend go in for you and mail you the key. I used to work in one, and we would always just throw them on peoples' machines because they aren't even a billable part. If a friend walked into a store and gave your serial number and said something like I bought this from a friend and they're shipping it to me can I have this key that it's missing, anyone reasonable would just give you one.
Oh wow. That’s good to know. Sadly I don’t live near one nor do I have any friends who do. However I do have one more question for you. Do you have any special advice on steps to take when changing out the lvds cable? I just want to be absolutely sure I don’t damage my lcd display when I’m doing this.

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
Oh wow. That’s good to know. Sadly I don’t live near one nor do I have any friends who do. However I do have one more question for you. Do you have any special advice on steps to take when changing out the lvds cable? I just want to be absolutely sure I don’t damage my lcd display when I’m doing this.
Well I actually kept the 2012 display, so I didn't shave off the plastic part or do any of that business. I would just say take your time and don't rush anything and do it evenly on both sides and you will likely be fine if you are attempting to fit the larger cable into the smaller slot.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
probably the key alone is broken not the scissor mechanism