Replacing 3GS ATT w/ 3GS XX - Restore Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cheme, Jul 12, 2011.

1. cheme macrumors newbie

My 16GB ATT 3GS took a bath and won't come out of restore mode. I was given a 3GS 32GB (unknown service) which goes into restore mode when I insert my sim card(itunes plug on screen and emergency calls only). Sim card inserted into husband's phone works as expected.
    Will restoring the gift phone resolve this issue- THX

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Is it giving you a "Different Sim Detected" error when you insert the sim card?

3. cheme thread starter macrumors newbie

Replacing 3GS ATT w/ 3GS XX

Thanks - it is not. Just shows the itunes plug in and when I slide the bar it goes to emergency calls only

4. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Ok, then all you need to do is get it activated. Are you on AT&T? If so, have you tried plugging the phone into iTunes after inserting your sim? That should activate your phone.

If the phone is not an AT&T phone or you're on a different provider , you will need to create a custom firmware and restore the phone. That will activate the phone, you can then proceed to unlock it and get service as normal.

5. cheme thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I wanted to make sure a restore cycle wouldn't wreck the phone. I'm on ATT but I don't know what network the gift phone came from.

Will try it out and let you know - thanks!

6. cheme thread starter macrumors newbie

ylerT - it worked, but didn't restore apps, contacts, etc. Exploring further, but happy to have a functioning phone - thanks!

7. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Glad to hear it's working!

If you backed up your old phone, you can right click on your new phone in iTunes and choose restore from backup. That will replace your settings, contacts, etc.