Replacing 3GS with Crack after iphone 4 Launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Philalbe, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Philalbe macrumors 6502

Hi. This is my first post here. I took the case off of my 32GB iPhone 3GS today and noticed a hairline crack about a quarter of an inch long, coming up from the USB area on the back. I was about to book a Genius appt., but then I wondered; if I wait till after the iPhone 4 launch, will they replace my 3GS with an iPhone 4? I know this is probably a pipe dream, but I figured I'd ask.
    Thanks in advance.

2. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

From what I understand, they'll have refurbished 16/32GB 3GS's on hand. Your chances of getting a new iPhone free of charge are slim, but it's always worth a shot. If not, you have a new 3GS, in box, which will grab a pretty penny and fund your iPhone 4.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You will get at 3GS. They have iPhone 3G and 3GS all in stock for replacements. The only way to get upgraded is if you can return it, and buy the new one.

TEG

4. Philalbe thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds about right...

Thanks. That makes good sense. I heard about Apple selling off their remaining supplies of 16/32G 3GS models, but it makes sense they'd keep refurbs around for replacements. I wonder if the glass back design of the iPhone 4 was in part to help solve the issue of hairline cracks plaguing the iPhone since the 3G? Thanks again.

5. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

From what I have heard, just to get your hairline crack replaced with a refurbished 3GS will take a bit of convincing at the Apple store.

My wife had the same issue and it took a bit of nagging --- Apple employees are quick to point out that damage to the exterior such as hairline cracks aren't covered by the warranty.

Good luck!

6. Philalbe thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

Hi everyone. Just got back from the Apple store, here in Burlington Ma. They told me hairline cracks were covered by the warranty and replaced it without hesitation :) thanks again for all the helpful posts.

7. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

I'm confused here.
    Well, you know how if you spill something on your 3GS, you can take it to Apple, and they'll give you a refurb for 199.99? (This is true)
    Do you think you could give them your iPhone 3GS and then pay for an iPhone 4? Even if it's in a Little White Field Replacement Box, idgaf. It's a 4!

8. dmx macrumors 6502

No.