Replacing a 15" Early 2008 MBP with 17" MBP: Wait or Buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ammusk, Oct 20, 2009.

  1. ammusk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009
    #1
    Hello everyone @ MacRumors,

    I'm new here but an avid reader of the site and everything Mac.

    I have a 15" MBP Early 2008 Model whose specs are:

    # 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    # 4GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM - 2X2GB (Upgraded from stock 2GB)
    # 200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    # NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB
    # Matte Display
    & no unibody.

    The specs of the new 17" MBP which I have been thinking about are:

    # 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    # 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    # NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
    # Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display
    & of course the unibody.

    After a student discount of $200, the 17" MBP costs me about $2389 without Tax.

    After the today's product releases, is it safe to go ahead and buy the 17"?
    Or should I wait for processor updates, which are rumored to be at the beginning of 2010?

    Strictly speaking, I don't need the 17". But it'll definitely be an upgrade.
     
  2. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #2
    THe main upgrade is the screen. If it's worth it for you, then do it. I don't think we will be seeing updates for at least a few months tbh.
     
  3. neilp4453 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    #3
    I'd stick with your current MBP until the next one comes out.

    I'd say 3 months is your wait time.
     
  4. X-JRO macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2008
    Location:
    Australia, Victoria, Melbourne East
    #4
    My brother's in the same jam... but he needs it for school.

    Anyone selling an old MBP? >_>
     
  5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #5
    If you truly need a new system now, get it now. If you don't, wait until you do. Does your 'old' system do what you need it to do? If yes, then you don't need a new one. Nevermind, I see that you've already answered this question.

    If your current rig is out of applecare, consider putting in a 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive or an ssd to regain some of that 'new car smell'.
     

Share This Page