Replacing a 2014 Pro with a 2014 Air for Slowness

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ryan101, Dec 12, 2014.

1. ryan101 macrumors member

Hi All,

I am impatient and I cannot have slow computers. I bought a 2014 MacBook Pro 13inch less than 2 months ago. It's got an i5 Retina, and 8GB memory. I find it's a bit slow. I don't do any designing stuff etc.

Until a 2 months ago I owned an 11inch MacBook Air with an i7 Processor and 8GB. It was tiny but it was fast. I had CS6 and Parallels installed, although I didn't use them much. This was a fast computer.

Now I am thinking about returning the 13inch Pro for a 13 Inch Air with an i7 processor and 8GB memory.

What I want to know will the Air with the i7 and 8GB, be faster than the Pro with i5 and 8GB. I always assumed Pro's were more powerful and had more power logic boards and everything else. However, my current Pro is slower than my 2 year old Air. I have checked settings etc. Gone over things a few times.

So the short question is will the 13 inch i7 8GB Air be faster than 13inch i5 with 8GB Pro. I assume the Air will be faster. I am not bothered by Retina Display etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, because the MBA uses intel's ULV chips which consumes less electricity but are slower then the regular mobile chips. Plus the GPU on the MBP is better.

If you're concerned about performance then consider the 15" MBP, which is a quad core CPU, and has a better GPU then the 13" MBP.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I agree and you likely need get a unit with a faster i7 processor. I also prefer BootCamp for performance and memory management. I do Windows 7 Pro on all of my Apple desktops and laptops via BootCamp and is is quite fast.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I'm confused…. since you owned an i7 8gb MBA before, why don't you already know which is faster? :confused:

The 2014 i7 MBA is the same as the 2013 MBA, if that's what you're asking. They only updated the i5 models for 2014. You can compare benchmarks at everymac.com.

5. motrek macrumors 68020

There's no indication from the OP that he does anything that would leverage more cores or a faster GPU.

He already said that the MBA seemed faster than the MBP and since they have pretty similar processors I would guess this is an issue with choppy scrolling/animations due to the retina screen.