Replacing a Base Station with...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benmrii, Aug 29, 2009.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Little over six years ago I bought the 802.11g and, sadly, it's time to replace her (unless someone has a trick for getting it to power up again). I'm not overly excited about dumping $180 on a wireless router (2-3x the cost of other solutions) just because it's Apple, so

a) am I missing something that makes the AirPort Extreme Base Station that much better?
    b) does anyone have experience working with something else that they would suggest I pick up?

At the very least, I've no interest in a time capsule. If I ever feel the need to back up wirelessly I'll plug one of my externals into the base station.

Thanks for your input.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

So you're looking for a wireless router, 802.11n, with USB port for connecting external drives, and less than $160?

Which ones are you considering?

3. gorjan macrumors 6502

I have the Linksys WRT610N. Simultaneous Dual-Band, Gigabit Ethernet and USB2 for storage, and you can install DD-WRT if you like, but stock FW is great in my opinion.

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Here's my honest opinion I originally had a AEBS (gigabit non-dualband) and used that for awhile, but I REALLY wanted a Dual Band solution, and didn't go with the new AEBS, and bought a top of the line D-Link router, it was actually more expensive than the AEBS, and it worked okay, but couldn't used basically any of the good stuff in it, because it was geared towards Windows users, don't get me wrong it was an awesome router, but it just didn't cater to Mac users well, and I kept having to unplug it once in awhile or nothing would work.

So I used it for about a month or so, and for the most part it was a decent router. My friend was in the market for a new router, so I told him if he bought me a Dual-Band AEBS I would trade him straight up for it, so that's what we did, now I have an AEBS with 2 harddrives attached, and a printer, all working flawlessly, all the features work, I never have to restart it, AND when I found that it wouldn't quite reach to my porch, I extended the network with an Airport Express, simple setup and it works great, and yesterday I found a Time Capsule super cheap (wasn't in the market for one) so I added that to my network, and use it as a wireless hub and backup solution.

My point is, there are some VERY nice routers, but they are for the most part geared towards Windows users, and I agree that Apple routers and a tad expensive, but it all works seamlessly with your Mac computers, and if you want to extend the network easily, all you have to do is buy an Airport Express and bam!

My suggestion would be don't make the same mistake I did and go with a non-Apple router, because you'll find that the functionality you need isn't going to be there, and you'll end up spending more to get the AEBS.

Just my .02

Andrew

5. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm looking for a wireless router, I have no idea what makes you think all of those other things are on my "must have features" list.

Thanks, Andrew, helps to know the money is well spent. Now to decide if the features above and beyond a basic wireless router are worth it for me...

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The main thing I think many people forget about Apple's routers is that they cannot be configured without using proprietary software. Pretty much every other router on the market can be configured using any web browser, but if you buy one of Apple's then you either have to use a Mac to do it or install software on your Windows machine. If you don't use either of these two platforms then you are SOL.

Paying extra for a higher chance of incompatibility would be a really dumb move IMO.

7. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

This is not an issue, 99% of people that will buy an Apple router have an Apple computer, why would a user that doesn't have Windows or OS X even buy it!? :confused: