Replacing a cracked screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DrAwesome, Sep 15, 2009.

1. DrAwesome macrumors newbie

My screen cracked a few months ago, but it has just been getting worse recently so I've been looking into replacing it but I have a few questions. First, I should be looking at "Apple MacBook Black Mb062Ll/B Laptop LCD Screen 13.3" WXGA," correct? And secondly, is there anything stopping me from replacing it with a matte screen instead of glossy? The difference in price is only like $3 and I would definitely prefer matte.
    Thanks for any help.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Replacing the glossy screen with a matte screen is OK but make doubly sure you're purchasing the correct one. In other words, an exact replacement but with a matte screen. And - that you can return it for a full refund if it turns out not to work correctly.

Regards.

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The quality of both the matte and glossy on the low end is so bad that to me, glossy vs matte doesn't even matter. They both look equally awful. Blacks look like a black veil with a light bulb behind them. The matte IMO is worse on the low end. On the high end, I prefer the matte. It all comes down to preference, but just keep in mind that you might not like matte more. I tried matte on the low end and people who hated glossy thought the matte looked awful!

If you do decide glossy, these guys are the only ones in the price range that will send you an original and not some cheap knockoff ********.

You should be looking to buy

a) AU Optronics B133EW01

b) Samsung LTN133W1-L01

c) LG Philips LP133WX1(TL)(A1) NOT (TL)(N3), the brightness control won't work with N3.

There's also a chi mei one whose model number escapes me since I so rarely see it.

There's a 90% chance you will go to a website that advertises one of the above models and sends you a cheap Chinese knockoff anyway. Ask before you buy. If you see the word compatible, run away.

4. DrAwesome thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably just stick with the glossy screen then.

5. sunshone001 macrumors newbie

Replacing a cracked MacBook screen

I would just buy a glossy screen. It doesn't affect my ability to see too much except for in the car rides. I've purchased a screen for my Black MacBook last month from ScreenCountry.com site and all together with shipping it cost me $120. I'm sorry if I misread your question but that is what I understood.:apple:

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Does anyone know if the panels from MacBook Airs work in MacBooks? The panels used in MacBook Airs seem to be of higher quality to me. Thanks in advance.