Replacing a Dead 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snarfquest, Oct 22, 2014.

1. snarfquest macrumors regular

My 2011 Macbook Pro died i7 Quad core/nvidia. It has 16gb and a 500gb SSD.

Now I'm trying to optimize a replacement. I'd like to get at least a 2012 with 2x Thunderbolt ports. I want to be able to use my SSD drive and memory. Depending on the web site I visit it is really hard to tell if the 2012 will take my memory and SSD drive.

I'm looking for a definitive yes/no. I know the 2013 Apple soldered in the memory and went with the newer "chip like" SSD. It isn't so clear in the 2012 model. At least I've found enough conflicted web sites it beings me here to ask. Some, of these web sites must me wrong, but without being able to look at one myself and take it apart I don't know which is correct.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Definitive answer.

ALL rMBPs have soldered memory and blade SSDs.

Pic of 2012 rMBP internals courtesy of iFixit.

[​IMG]

The older non retina Macbook pros (with optical drives) can all use your memory and SSD, however they have only one Thunderbolt port

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The mid-2012 MBPs have user-replaceable RAM and only one Thunderbolt port. The late-2012 retina MBPs that have 2 Thunderbolt ports have RAM soldered in place.

You can find specs on all Apple products by visiting EveryMac.com

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The retina Macbook pro started in Mid 12 with the 15"

5. snarfquest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the fast answer!

That explains it.

Well crud. 2x Thunderbolt also came out with the retina.

So that means if I wish to save money and keep my SSD and 16gb RAM then I must get a 2011.

Rock/Hard place.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite right. I read too fast. The retina MBPs in 2012 were mid-2012 (15") and late-2012 (13") models.

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

The mid-2012 15" non retina macbook pro has user replaceable ram and drive. It also doesn't have the Radeon card that caused your computer to die in the first place.

8. snarfquest thread starter macrumors regular

I've been lucky with the Radeon cards. I have 2x 2011 Macbook Pro's with Radeon cards and both have been great. The issue with the 2011 that died is the power board. It won't charge, green/orange light on a/c adapter never comes on.