Replacing a dead 2G iPhone at the Apple Store... how?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by timothevs, Oct 8, 2008.

1. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Hi, I woke up a few mornings back to the most dreadful of discoveries... my iPhone had been left overnight, face down in a puddle of water in the bath tub. I had placed it on the edge while picking up magazines on the floor and forgot it there, must've slipped down in the night. Blah, I tried it all, rice, blow dryers, and what not. It's dead. From what I gather on the forum, Apple will not replace the phone or offer any repairs sans costs.

I wonder whether I can go to the Apple store and purchase a new iPhone and continue on my current AT&T plan (Family plan with just I as the iPhone owner), without committing to renew the contract 2 more years from the current date. Any thoughts on this issue? Mine is a 4GB iPhone from the days of Yore, though the contract was renewed just a few months back.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Sorry about your iPhone. :(

AFAIK, Apple and AT&T currently only sell the iPhone 3G for the subsidized price, and that discount requires a new 2-year contract. There was talk of an unsubsidized price of $599 or something like that, but I haven't seen it offered yet.

If you're totally against re-upping your contract (and going with the new, more expensive data plan), you might try buying a used original iPhone. eBay and craigslist are good places to look.

3. timothevs thread starter macrumors 6502

timothevs

Ah thanks... Unfortunately am paying the max I can pay for the plan, per month. I had purchased the 4GB phone from Ebay, and had ported my half of the existing family plan to the iPhone (much to the chagrin of the missus ;) ).

Anyone know what is involved if I go to the Apple store to get a single iPhone, and renew an existing family plan... is it possible to keep what we pay per month - or must we change over to the iPhone family plan?

4. Darth Cow macrumors newbie

If you get an iPhone 3G, you'll have to pay an extra $10/month for internet, plus charges for SMS. The "iPhone family plan" is for a family plan with all iPhones.

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

If you go to the Apple Store you should be able to get a replacement first gen for $299, and not renew or take out a new contract.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Actually, it is only $199. My daughter just had her first gen iPhone replaced and it only cost $199.

7. sparkyms macrumors 65816