Replacing a dead iMac Hard Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Teeohbee, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Teeohbee macrumors newbie

So my 2007 alu 24in iMac hard drive has finally given up the ghost :(

Asked a few local apple authorised service centres for prices regarding fitting a new hard drive and was surprised at how much they were charging.

One centre wanted to charge me £130 + VAT for service alone!

So this got me thinking about sourcing my own hard drive and just stumping up the £55 for fitting, but I'm not sure at all about internal hard drives and not sure which ones would be required. I'm only looking for about 500gb of storage or less. A quick amazon search came up with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Q82PIQ/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=computers&psc=1

Would that be what I need? It only has 16mb cache whatever that means.

I ideally want to keep the whole thing under £100.

I'm only doing this because I want to sell the thing and I'm guessing not having an internal hard drive will reduce the price of the sale by quite a margin.

If anyone can confirm the above link or link to better deals that will definitely work with my iMac it'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

You can buy any 3.5" S-ATA HDD to your liking.
    Look at www.ifixit.com for guides on how to do it yourself, as it is not that hard.
    I also used some YouTube videos to guide me through.
    It took me an hour to replace a HDD in my 2007 Aluminium iMac and it wasn't that hard.

3. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Having just done the SSD install on a similar machine...do it all yourself. Get the drive you really want and take some time to carefully replace it yourself. Formatting can easily be done before via USB connection. Then just lift the screen, pop in the drive, then play!