Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
So I’ve got a spare 2TB SATA SSD. How difficult would it be to replace the Fusion Drive in my 2017 27” Mac? Is it as simple as take back off and swap it over like a PC?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I believe ‘cut’, you have to break the seal between the screen and the body of the unit.

There are a few YouTube videos on how to do it. To me personally, now (2023), not worth it.

Reactions: martint235

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Thanks for that. It doesn’t look too bad but I gave got the paws of a clumsy gorilla
The worst part is cleaning the old adhesive off the display so you can apply new adhesive. You don't want to take any shortcuts with that, or your screen might just fall off onto your desk. The work of putting in the SATA drive isn't terrible really. It's all doable if you set up a nice clean workspace and go really slowly.

Reactions: martint235

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"It doesn’t look too bad but I have got the paws of a clumsy gorilla"

You don't want to try this job unless you're certain of your abilities.
It's VERY easy to break something inside, and then you have a REAL problem.
Better visit ifixit.com to see what's involved.
Watch some youtube videos, as well.

My recommendation:
Put the SATA SSD into a USB3.1 gen2 enclosure.
Then... plug it into one of the USBc ports on the back (DO NOT use a USB3 "a" port)
Then... use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the contents of the internal drive to the SSD.
SD is easier if you've never done it before.

This will give you an external boot SSD with read speeds around 850-900MBps.
Pretty good.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
OP wrote:
"It doesn’t look too bad but I have got the paws of a clumsy gorilla"

You don't want to try this job unless you're certain of your abilities.
It's VERY easy to break something inside, and then you have a REAL problem.
Better visit ifixit.com to see what's involved.
Watch some youtube videos, as well.

My recommendation:
Put the SATA SSD into a USB3.1 gen2 enclosure.
Then... plug it into one of the USBc ports on the back (DO NOT use a USB3 "a" port)
Then... use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the contents of the internal drive to the SSD.
SD is easier if you've never done it before.

This will give you an external boot SSD with read speeds around 850-900MBps.
Pretty good.
Thanks. I’m confident in my technical knowledge and ability but see part above about paws of a gorilla. I think benefits v risks I’ll leave it and see what new comes out later this year

mattofet

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2020
WI
Thanks. I’m confident in my technical knowledge and ability but see part above about paws of a gorilla. I think benefits v risks I’ll leave it and see what new comes out later this year
In the meantime you could try splitting the fusion drive. It's really easy to do, but I believe it will erase both drives. I did this on my iMac (same year/size model as yours) and it is amazingly fast just running on the SSD blade. My SSD is only 128GB, so I use external SSD for other storage.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
In the meantime you could try splitting the fusion drive. It's really easy to do, but I believe it will erase both drives. I did this on my iMac (same year/size model as yours) and it is amazingly fast just running on the SSD blade. My SSD is only 128GB, so I use external SSD for other storage.
Thanks but I’ve taken the nuclear option and now have a 16/512GB Mac Mini Pro with 4TB and 2TB external drives fitted

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
I did the upgrade from a fusion to Crucial SSD and the biggest PITA was lining the screen up when putting back together. Be sure to buy good tape as if you need to take it off again (like I had to due to misalignment) the cheap tape is awful. iFixit tape is much better.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So I’ve got a spare 2TB SATA SSD. How difficult would it be to replace the Fusion Drive in my 2017 27” Mac? Is it as simple as take back off and swap it over like a PC?
It's a pain. Doable, but not fun and there are several "if you're not careful, you'll need to replace these really expensive parts". My sincere advice would be to take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider and have them do it. If it's not under warranty, then they're usually much more comfortable about doing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.