Replacing a Jailbroken iPhone 3g without an AT&T account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhonehelp123, Jul 13, 2009.

1. iPhonehelp123 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and all but I have a lot of experience with iPhones and jailbreaking. But anyways I need some help, I've been thinking about getting my iPhone 3g replaced because I have this crack along the dock connecter and the phone is pretty scratched up.(The phone is fully functional though). I purchased my phone from ebay. At the moment my phone is running the 3.0 jailbreak firmware and I'm using Ultrasn0w in order for it to work with my carrier, T-Mobile. Can I bring it in for a replacement if I restore it?

Your help is appreciated,
    Jeff

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yes, but they may charge you if its not under warranty.

3. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Hello,

Is the iPhone in the US also available on pay as you go. If it is busy a AT&T pay as you go sim card. Then you should restore your phone and put that sim in. It should allow you to use with any AT&T sim and then take it back. I was lucky enough to not have any issues with i had an iphone 2g which i used a turbo sim on so i had no need for replacement of this phone.

Hope this helps

I even managed to get the apple store to swap my iphone 3g when i had 3.0 beta running on it so shouldnt be too difficult

4. iPhonehelp123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait but you can tell the phone has been dropped, even the bezel is scratched up and chipped a little. When I purchased the phone from ebay the corners had scuff marks.(I got jipped:'() The housing is really scratched up, there are even some strong marks that look it's been stabbed with a key.
    Do you guys still think I can do it?:/

5. Bodah macrumors regular

Why would Apple replace your phone? Because you dropped it, and don't like the cracks and scratches? How is that Apples fault?

If you want a new phone, go buy one, don't expect apple to replace it.

6. iPhonehelp123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats not the point please leave if your not going to help

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

He has a point. You want Apple to foot the bill for your mistakes. People like you are driving up the cost of all of Apple's the other devices. If you're successful, you're abusing a good (and pretty rare) replacement policy, which just makes the company loose money and want to tighten their requirements on replacing products, so that people with real defects and problems will have more trouble with it. Oh yeah, and this forum is full of AAPL shareholders, so when you defraud Apple, you defraud it's owners too.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Since each Genius working is different, nobody here can tell you what your experience will be.

At the store near me, if it looks like physical damage caused the problem, then they won't cover it.

9. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

So let's see...you're brand new to the forums, and the first thing you do is ask advice on how to get a free replacement for accidental damage.

Anyways. Firstly, Apple's warranty does not cover accidental damage, such as dropping your iPhone, scratching it, water damage, etc. That is your own fault, your own liability. You can just purchase another iPhone to replace your semi-scratched one. Read the warranty, then ask questions. Not the other way around.

Secondly, your iPhone is jailbroken. You need to restore it in order to have any hope of being serviced for the warranty.

Finally, you might want to check when your warranty expires, or has expired. Considering how you bought it off of eBay, who knows how old the 3G actually is. Check to see if you actually still have a warranty, or if it's long gone.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The OP is trying to defraud apple but here's why it generally won't work.

1. Your phone is fully functioning and apple typically doesn't replace functioning phones.
    2. I believe you need to have an activated phone for them to replace
    3. if they see that its jail broken they'll not do anything
    4. If you lie and tell them its not working, they may not do anything because your phone is cracked/scratched up. A clear indication that the phone was damaged and/or not maintained.

while YMMV, trying to defraud apple in giving you a new phone just because yours is scratched up is plain wrong. Its not apple's fault you bought a hacked up phone on ebay and its no reason why they (read us since they pass the cost on to actual paying customers) should foot the bill.

[/rant]

I'm done ranting, you may go about discussing out to finagle apple to give you a free phone ;)

11. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

When you drop the device repeatedly it is not covered under warranty under the clause of customer abuse. Now OP you have been reported for abusive posts. How do you like them apples?

12. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502

gr8whtd0pe

13. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I accidently crashed my car, and I don't have car insurance. Maybe Honda will replace it for me? Anyone have any ideas about how to trick them into covering it?

14. lavinci macrumors 6502

It is a manufacturing defect if he did not cause the damage, so he has every right to exchange it. I know most of you would exchange it if you see damage that was not caused by you at all. I know I would most definitely do that. But if he did cause the damage, and he is asking how to get a free one, that's just FRAUD.

15. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

what are you talking about.

"Wait but you can tell the phone has been dropped, even the bezel is scratched up and chipped a little. When I purchased the phone from ebay the corners had scuff marks.(I got jipped:'() The housing is really scratched up, there are even some strong marks that look it's been stabbed with a key."

Those aren't manufacturing defects, those are accidents done by the user or the previous user.

16. iPhonehelp123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Since you guys(Mr.chaos86) misunderstood the point, there are cracks(dock connecter,sim slot and vibrate switch) and light leaks along the housing that weren't caused from drops. But I was wondering if the warranty would be voided because there are scuff marks around the corners which may make it look like a different story. Yes I still have my warranty but I believe it expires sometime around the end of this month. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for all the help.

17. outphase macrumors 65816

Apple will likely not honor their end of the warranty because you did not honor your end of the End User License Agreement.